Biomolecules which can be optically aligned

• Thread starter maNoFchangE
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example of biomolecules that can be aligned using a laser. It is mentioned that the molecules must have a non-zero permanent dipole moment, and the search for a list of biomolecules with their dipole moments is requested. A link to a table of dipole moments is shared, and it is noted that any biological molecule will have a permanent dipole moment. A source is also provided for additional information on molecular alignment. Finally, the individual clarifies their misunderstanding about the requirements for molecular alignment.
maNoFchangE
So, I am required to find an example of biomolecules which can be aligned using laser. I guess one requirement of that is that the molecules must have non-zero permanent dipole moment. But I don't know where I can find a list of biomolecules along with their dipole moment. Can someone help me with this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Apart from completely symmetric molecules, which will be quite rare, any biological molecule will have a permanent dipole moment.

I don't know what you would count as a biological molecule, but you can have a look at http://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.75.543

Likes maNoFchangE and jedishrfu
After reading some materials on molecular alignment, it seems that I was a bit mistaken about the alignability of molecules. Previously I thought that only molecules with non-zero permanent dipole moment can be aligned, but apparently aligning is related to coupling between several rotational states of the molecule.

Related to Biomolecules which can be optically aligned

What are biomolecules that can be optically aligned?

Biomolecules that can be optically aligned are molecules found in living organisms that have the ability to align themselves in a specific orientation based on external light or electromagnetic fields.

What are some examples of biomolecules that can be optically aligned?

Some examples of biomolecules that can be optically aligned include DNA, proteins, and lipids.

What is the significance of optically aligned biomolecules?

The ability to optically align biomolecules is important for understanding their structure and function. It can also be used in various applications such as drug delivery, biosensors, and biotechnology.

How are biomolecules optically aligned?

Biomolecules can be optically aligned through various methods such as using polarized light, magnetic fields, or photoalignment techniques.

What are the potential uses of optically aligned biomolecules?

Optically aligned biomolecules have potential uses in biomedical research, drug development, and nanotechnology. They can also be used in creating advanced materials with unique optical properties.