Biology - Diffusion/Osmosis of 2 Solutions

• Thread starter markelmarcel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, Homework Equations asks for solutions for a problem with two solutes of different concentrations. Solution A has two different pieces in its solution and Solution B has one piece in its solution, both of which are equi-osmotic with respect to Cl-. The membrane can freely pass Na+, K+, Cl- and water. Can you take it from there?
markelmarcel

Homework Statement

You have two solutions - Solution A = 0.5 M NaCl and 0.5 M KCl Solution B= 1.0 M NaCl

If Solution A and B are separated by
a) a membrane permeable to all three ions what will happen?
and
b) a membrane that ions can not pass through but that water can, what will happen?

Homework Equations

-------------------------------

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure Part A is talking about passive transport/diffusion of two solutes. I know that 2 different solutions will end up traveling through the membrane until they reach equilibrium.

I'm also certain that Part B is talking about passive transport/osmosis, in which case the water would diffuse from the solution with less concentrated solution to the solution with more concentrated solution.

What I don't understand is how to use the moles of the given solutions to help me figure out what the right answer is. We had a question like this on a quiz that I got wrong and then also it is now on my homework, and he has yet to mention anything like this in class, so I don't know how to apply the knowledge of diffusion/osmosis to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part A. On one side of the membrane you have a mix of .5M NaCl and .5M KCl. That solution is actually .5M Na+, .5M K+ and 1.0M Cl-.

On the other side of the membrane you have 1.0M NaCl which is actually 1.0M Na+ and 1.0M Cl-. So, one side is relatively rich in Na+ one side is relatively rich in K+ and both sides are equi-osmotic with respect to Cl-. The membrane can freely pass Na+, K+, Cl- and water.

Can you take it from there?

Part B. Yep.

chemisttree said:
Part A. On one side of the membrane you have a mix of .5M NaCl and .5M KCl. That solution is actually .5M Na+, .5M K+ and 1.0M Cl-.

On the other side of the membrane you have 1.0M NaCl which is actually 1.0M Na+ and 1.0M Cl-. So, one side is relatively rich in Na+ one side is relatively rich in K+ and both sides are equi-osmotic with respect to Cl-. The membrane can freely pass Na+, K+, Cl- and water.

Can you take it from there?

Part B. Yep.

Ok. I was able to figure out Part A while I was waiting for a reply. It was actually a multiple choice question with instructions to choose the correct answer or answers.

So the choices for Part A were: (my answers are bolded)
A. K+ will diffuse from A to B
B. Na+ will diffuse from A to B
C. Na+ will diffuse from B to A
D. Cl- will diffuse from B to A
E. Cl- will diffuse from A to B
F. Cl- will not diffuse.

For Part B the choices are:
A. Water will move from A to B
B. Water will move from B to A
C. Water will not move in either direction.

So- Both solutions are 2.0M total concentration. But Solution A has 2 different pieces in its solution whereas Solution A is only NaCl...

How do I figure out which side is more concentrated? Would water be moving to both sides to account for the lack of K in Solution B and the lack of Na in Solution A?

markelmarcel said:
So- Both solutions are 2.0M total concentration. But Solution A has 2 different pieces in its solution whereas Solution A is only NaCl...

How do I figure out which side is more concentrated? Would water be moving to both sides to account for the lack of K in Solution B and the lack of Na in Solution A?

Ok- or would water not be moving at all? Since a mol isn't really a number it would be the same thing as saying "a dozen" of something. So- if I have apples(Na), oranges(Cl) and pears(K) I could say...

Solution A- has 1/2 dozen apples, 1/2 dozen pears and a dozen of Cl.

Solution B - has 1 dozen apples and 1 dozen oranges

Both of those solutions equal out to 2 dozen... or 2.0M... so they are concentrated the same?

I don't know... this just confuses me because in class we only talked about ONE type of solute of different concentration- not more than one. =/

Here's a tip for these sorts of problems: Draw it out. It helped me get the idea when I was learning it.

Just draw both sides in the initial phase with their concentrations. Then take a look at what can move through the membrane. Once that is established, just see which side has a lower concentration of that particular substance and that's the direction it will move.

Not sure if that helps for this situation though. Like you my lessons only entailed two substances, a miscellaneous solute and water.

Related to Biology - Diffusion/Osmosis of 2 Solutions

1. What is diffusion and how does it work?

Diffusion is the process by which molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This movement occurs due to random motion and does not require the input of energy. Diffusion works by molecules constantly colliding with each other and spreading out evenly over time.

2. What is osmosis and how is it different from diffusion?

Osmosis is the diffusion of water molecules across a semi-permeable membrane from an area of high water concentration to an area of low water concentration. This process is different from regular diffusion because it only involves the movement of water molecules and occurs through a membrane.

3. How do solutions with different concentrations affect diffusion and osmosis?

Solutions with different concentrations create a concentration gradient, which is necessary for diffusion and osmosis to occur. In diffusion, molecules will move from a higher concentration to a lower concentration until equilibrium is reached. In osmosis, water molecules will move from a lower concentration of solutes to a higher concentration of solutes until equilibrium is reached.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of diffusion and osmosis?

Temperature affects the rate of diffusion and osmosis because it affects the speed of molecular movement. Higher temperatures result in faster molecular movement, leading to a faster rate of diffusion and osmosis. Lower temperatures have the opposite effect, slowing down the rate of diffusion and osmosis.

5. What are some real-life examples of diffusion and osmosis?

Diffusion can be seen in the spreading of perfume or the mixing of food coloring in water. Osmosis is responsible for the absorption of water by plant roots and the movement of nutrients and waste products in and out of cells. It is also used in processes such as dialysis and reverse osmosis for water purification.