Binned threads: Scepticism forum

• Thread starter J77
  • Start date
In summary, the thread on the English guy who said he hacked his way into the US military and found info on UFOs got deleted because it was 'out there' and didn't conform to forum guidelines.
J77
I wouldn't normally ask about deleted threads but PF has no bin...

I couldn't find anything in the rules about why my thread on the English guy who said he hacked his way into the US military and found info on UFOs got deleted.

I understand that the story was a bit 'out there' but the source was credible, ie. the bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4757375.stm

And I did put it in the Scepticism forum.

Did it break any forum rules? (Generally interested for future reference.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant sections from the S&D guidelines are:
In order to help avoid confusion it seems appropriate to state the goal of S&D clearly: We explore claims of and evidence for unexplained phenomena. Thoughtful speculation and explanations are welcome.

and
Although unavoidably linked with subjects such as UFOs, we do not discuss conspiracy theories for their own sake.

Just because it's a conspiracy theory proposed by a hacker who has gotten mainstream publicity doesn't make his claim credible, and even if he's being truthful of what he thinks he saw, it certainly isn't verifiable or subject to debunking.

If that's not sufficient explanation, you'll need to contact Ivan via PM for any more clarification about specifics of your post.

Thanks MB, that sounds good to me. :biggrin:

Hi J77,
there was also another thread about this below your post, which I had already closed. What happens is that people don't see the closed threads, and pretty soon we have two, three, or even four closed threads on the same story if I don't just delete them.

Anytime something like this happens, you or anyone else should feel free to send a pm asking why your thread was deleted. But as a rule, unless you get a warning, you are safe to assume that either the content was innappropriate for the forum, or someone has already started a parallel thread and you just missed it.

Last edited:
Cool :smile:

Thanks for the replies - I didn't see the closed thread when I posted mine, even though I searched the boards for "hacker".

:cool:

Okay, what I'll do is issue a zero point warning containing a short statement of the problem. This should help to prevent confusion. A warning of zero points carries no penalty.

We'll also be adding a posting agreement to ensure that everyone sees and understands the posting guidelines.

Last edited:

Related to Binned threads: Scepticism forum

1. What is a binned thread in the scepticism forum?

A binned thread in the scepticism forum refers to a thread or discussion that has been moved to a separate section of the forum due to being off-topic or violating forum rules. It is essentially a "trash bin" for threads that are no longer active or relevant to the forum's main discussions.

2. How do threads get binned in the scepticism forum?

Threads can get binned in the scepticism forum if they are deemed to be off-topic or violate forum rules. This can be determined by forum moderators or by community members reporting the thread. Threads can also be voluntarily binned by the original poster if they feel it is no longer relevant or appropriate for the forum.

3. Can binned threads be restored in the scepticism forum?

In most cases, binned threads cannot be restored in the scepticism forum. However, if a thread was mistakenly binned or if the original poster wants to revive the discussion, they can reach out to forum moderators to request for the thread to be restored.

4. Are binned threads visible to all forum members?

No, binned threads are not visible to all forum members. They are usually moved to a separate section that is not accessible to regular forum members. Only moderators or administrators can view binned threads.

5. How does binned threads affect the scepticism forum?

Binned threads do not have a major impact on the scepticism forum. They simply help to keep the forum organized and relevant by removing threads that are no longer active or appropriate. However, if there are a large number of binned threads, it may indicate that there are issues with the forum's rules or moderation process that need to be addressed.