Bicycle and Pulley: What Will the Scale Read in Two Different Examples?

In summary, the scale readings for the two examples are 2.9kg for the bicycle and 1.45kg for the cylinder. The forces on the bicycle and cylinder can be found using the equations F1 = m*g*sin12 and F2 = F3 = 1/2 F4, where F1 represents the force pulling the objects down the incline and F2 and F3 represent the opposing forces on the cylinder, while F4 represents the opposing force on the bicycle. The relationship between F2 and F3 is F2 = F3 due to the equal distribution of force between the upper and lower straps.
brianinbwangju

Homework Statement

What will the scale read in these 2 examples?
The incline is 12 degrees. The bicycle weight is 14kg. The cylinder weight is 14kg.

Homework Equations

Force of 2nd pulley 'arm' is 1/2 weight
Force on incline is force X sin(angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

A scale is attached with wires to the circumference of the bicycle wheel and the bicycle frame. The line of the wire is at a tangent to the wheel. The measurement on the scale is: (14kg) (sin12) = 2.9kg

Another scale is attached similarly to the circumference of the cylinder, except the scale is attached to a frame mounted to the ground. The measurement of the scale is: .5 (14kg) (sin12) = 1.45kg

Attachments

• part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain the drawing a bit? I see the tension scale on the cylinder's rope, but don't understand the bicycle part and how it attaches/relates.

There is a tension scale on the bike part also. It is connected to the rear tire on one side and seat post on the other side. The scale is supposed to come off as a tangent to the rear tire.

I'll go a little further in my interpretation to see if it sounds right.
In the bicycle there is a force, F1 = m*g*sin12, that is pulling the bicycle down the incline. The same force is pulling down the cylinder.
On the pulley there are 2 opposing forces. F2, the friction force of the ground on the cylinder and F3, the force of the ground support that is pulling the rope. Therefore F2 + F3 = F1. If this is right, I only need to find the relationship between F2 and F3 to find their values.
On the bicycle there is only 1 opposing foce, F4. Where the rope is attached to the bike frame, the rope is pulling the same direction as F1, so it does not oppose F1. Therefore F4 = F1

Last edited:
T = rF
F2 and F3 are both acting on the cylinder, so F2 = F3

F1 = F4
F3 = 1/2 F4

brianinbwangju said:
T = rF
F2 and F3 are both acting on the cylinder, so F2 = F3

F1 = F4
F3 = 1/2 F4

It's a bit difficult to follow which forces you are talking about, but if I am following them correctly your results look OK to me. For the cylinder, I am assuming the lower strap is attached to the floor, so friction is not a factor, but even if it is not attached and friction keeps it from slipping the reading on the scale would be the same. The upper and lower straps equally share the force needed to keep the bike frorm moving in order for the net torque to be zero, so F2 = F3 looks right.

For the bicycle the only force keeping the bike from moving is friction, so the magnitude of the torque at the bottom is rF1 and the magnitude at the top must be rF4 = rF1, so I agree with you that F4 = F1 and F4 is half of F2 or F3.

Related to Bicycle and Pulley: What Will the Scale Read in Two Different Examples?

1. What is a bicycle and pulley system?

A bicycle and pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a combination of wheels and ropes or cables to move objects. In this system, the bicycle acts as a source of power, while the pulley acts as a lever to lift or lower objects.

2. How does a bicycle and pulley system work?

A bicycle and pulley system works by using the pedaling motion of the bicycle to turn a wheel that is connected to a rope or cable. The rope or cable then wraps around a pulley, which can be fixed or moveable, and the object is lifted or lowered depending on the direction of rotation.

3. What are the advantages of using a bicycle and pulley system?

One advantage of using a bicycle and pulley system is that it is a simple and cost-effective way to move objects. It also allows for the use of human power, making it a sustainable option. Additionally, the pulley system can be easily modified to lift heavier objects by adding more pulleys.

4. What are the different types of pulleys used in a bicycle and pulley system?

The two main types of pulleys used in a bicycle and pulley system are fixed pulleys and moveable pulleys. Fixed pulleys are attached to a fixed point, while moveable pulleys can move along the rope or cable. A combination of both types of pulleys can be used to create a more complex system.

5. What are some real-life applications of a bicycle and pulley system?

A bicycle and pulley system can be used in a variety of applications, such as lifting heavy objects in construction or transportation, lowering and raising sails on a ship, and even in exercise equipment like weightlifting machines. It is also commonly used in household chores, such as hoisting a bucket of water from a well.