Bevel Gear Design: Choosing Between Straight and Spiral Bevel Gears

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between spiral bevel gears and normal bevel gears. While the spiral version is more popular in engineering, it is also more complex and prone to failure. However, with today's technology, manufacturing a spiral bevel gear is no more difficult than a normal one. The advantages of helical gears over spur gears are also mentioned, including less stress and the ability to use weaker bearings. The cost effectiveness of spur gears for small businesses and the preference for off-the-shelf parts are also discussed.
Jarfi
So I've been searching up "bevel gear" CAD tutorials, but all I can find is "Spiral bevel gear".

It seems like the spiral version of the bevel gear is much more popular in engineering then the normal one one.

But drawing a spiral bevel gear, and manufacturing it would be more complex and prone to faliure, while a normal bevel gear needs less detail. The spiral one seems to do the exact same thing except that it's more complex...

For a gear that needs to be responsive and simple, and can be 3d printed for pototyping, is there any reason why I would choose a spiral bevel gear over a normal type bevel gear?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you aware of the advantages of helical gears over spur gears?
Wikipedia explains is pretty well.

See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason_Corporation
“After engineers at Packard developed spiral bevel gears, Gleason pioneered the machine tools to mass-produce them (with automotive differentials being the primary market)”.

With today’s machines, it is no more difficult to generate a spiral bevel than a straight bevel gear.
See also; http://www.cad.sun.ac.za/catalogs/MachineComponents/bevellgear.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
billy_joule said:
Are you aware of the advantages of helical gears over spur gears?
Wikipedia explains is pretty well.

I have touched upon it now, seems like Helical gears aren't completely superior with them having more torque on the gear shaft, which is why spur gears seem to be superior in chosen situations, mainly racing cars and high torque situations.

Baluncore said:
See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason_Corporation
“After engineers at Packard developed spiral bevel gears, Gleason pioneered the machine tools to mass-produce them (with automotive differentials being the primary market)”.

With today’s machines, it is no more difficult to generate a spiral bevel than a straight bevel gear.
See also; http://www.cad.sun.ac.za/catalogs/MachineComponents/bevellgear.pdf

That is sobering to see, yes I had a feeling they were more complex to manufacture, but seems like technology always wins.

Although I suspect the cost effectiveness of spur gears still stands for small business owners that don't have access to a mechanical engineering team with money for mass production lines. Making a customized helical gear(fitting certain dimensions) would thus perhaps still be less cost effective, since spur gears are more expensive to make until at the level of a massive corporation.

Thanks for the information,

-Jarfi

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarfi said:
I have touched upon it now, seems like Helical gears aren't completely superior with them having more torque on the gear shaft, which is why spur gears seem to be superior in chosen situations, mainly racing cars and high torque situations.

That is not true. Helical have more teeth meshing so less stress for a given torque. Straight cut gears are preferred for some situations because they have no thrust force. That means cases and bearings can be weaker and lighter but the gears will have to be a bit larger than the equivalent helical gears.

Although I suspect the cost effectiveness of spur gears still stands for small business owners that don't have access to a mechanical engineering team with money for mass production lines. Making a customized helical gear(fitting certain dimensions) would thus perhaps still be less cost effective, since spur gears are more expensive to make until at the level of a massive corporation.
In most cases it's much more common to design to suit off the shelve parts (including gears) than try to make everything in house. I'd guess even a company like Toyota don't make their own gears - Gear companies have the plant and have done the R&D already.

Related to Bevel Gear Design: Choosing Between Straight and Spiral Bevel Gears

1. What is the difference between a bevel gear and a spiral bevel gear?

A bevel gear is a type of gear with a cone-shaped surface that is used to transmit power between intersecting shafts. It has straight teeth that are cut along the surface of the cone. A spiral bevel gear, on the other hand, has curved teeth that are cut in a spiral pattern along the surface of the cone. This design allows for smoother and more efficient power transmission.

2. What are the advantages of using a spiral bevel gear over a traditional bevel gear?

One of the main advantages of a spiral bevel gear is its ability to handle higher loads and torque. The curved teeth provide more surface area for contact, allowing for a larger load-carrying capacity. Additionally, the spiral design reduces noise and vibration, making it ideal for high-speed and high-precision applications.

3. Can a bevel gear and a spiral bevel gear be used interchangeably?

No, bevel gears and spiral bevel gears are not interchangeable. The difference in tooth design and surface contact means that they cannot mesh properly and will not function correctly if used interchangeably. It is important to select the appropriate gear type for the specific application.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing between a bevel gear and a spiral bevel gear?

When selecting between these two gear types, factors such as load, speed, precision, noise level, and application requirements should be taken into consideration. Spiral bevel gears are typically more expensive and require more precise manufacturing, so they are usually reserved for high-performance applications where noise and vibration must be minimized.

5. How are bevel gears and spiral bevel gears commonly used in industrial applications?

Bevel gears and spiral bevel gears are commonly used in a variety of industrial applications that involve intersecting shafts. They are often found in power transmission systems, such as in automobiles, construction equipment, and heavy machinery. They are also used in precision instruments, such as aircraft engines and medical equipment.