Between two powers of an integer there is a power of two

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of an inequality used in information theory, which states that for a fixed positive integer n and an arbitrary positive integer r, the number 2^r lies between two powers of n. The conversation suggests finding the smallest member of an arbitrary integer sequence less than or equal to r to prove the inequality, and provides a quick and dirty explanation involving binary representation and logarithms.
keniwas
Hi Everyone,

I am reading up on information theory, and every resource I have found on the topic which derives the form of entropy uses the following inequality as part of the proof.

Let [tex]n[/tex] be a fixed positive integer greater than 1. If [tex]r[/tex] is an arbitrary positive integer, then the number [tex]2^r[/tex] lies somewhere between two powers of [tex]n[/tex]. i.e. There exists a positive integer [tex]k[/tex] such that

[tex]n^k\leq 2^r < n^{(k+1)}[/tex]

However, none of them prove it and I am unclear how to do so. If anyone has any ideas on how to prove it, or topics I should look into which would make this inequality obvious I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is true for arbitrary integer sequences, not just powers of n (provided it increases without bound, and has a small enough member -- but those are obviously true for powers). Find the smallest member less than or equal to r, then choose the next one.

CRGreathouse said:
This is true for arbitrary integer sequences, not just powers of n (provided it increases without bound, and has a small enough member -- but those are obviously true for powers). Find the smallest member less than or equal to r, then choose the next one.

Sorry, could you explain a little by what you mean that it applies to arbitrary integer sequences as well? I am not clear why we want the smallest member less than or equal to [tex]r[/tex]?

So pick [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]n[/tex] first. Now, look at [tex]2^r[/tex], and find the largest [tex]k[/tex] such that [tex]n^k\le2^r[/tex]. Then the inequality holds.

Here's a quick&dirty explanation. Dividing through by [tex]n^k[/tex] you get
[tex]1\leq \frac {2^r}{n^k} < n \quad\quad\quad \mbox{(1)}[/tex]

Now consider the binary representation of the fraction
[tex]\frac 1 {n^k}[/tex]

This is less than 1, so it will begin by 0.xxx... You can shift left the bits in this representation until a 1 comes into the integer part (making it 1.xxx...). This new number is now between 1 and 2 (possibly equal to 1, but definitely less than 2). Let [tex]r[/tex] be the number of bits you shifted; then the shifted number is the fraction in inequality (1); and it is between 1 and 2. Since [tex]n \ge 2[/tex], the inequality holds.

another lazy way to see it is to take log to the base n of both sides, ,which reduces the question to finding a k such that

[tex]k \leq r \log_n 2< k+1 [/tex]

which is obviously possible.

Related to Between two powers of an integer there is a power of two

1. What is the significance of "Between two powers of an integer there is a power of two" in mathematics?

This statement is known as the "two powers theorem" and it has important implications in number theory. It essentially means that between any two consecutive powers of an integer, there exists another power of two. This has been proven to be true for all integers, including negative and decimal numbers.

2. How is this theorem useful in solving mathematical problems?

The two powers theorem is often used in mathematical proofs and equations involving integers. It can also be used to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. Can you provide an example of how this theorem can be applied?

Sure! Let's say we have the equation 2^n + 2^(n+1). By applying the two powers theorem, we can rewrite this as 2^n + 2^n+1. Since 2^n is a common factor, we can simplify this to 2^n(1+2) = 2^n(3). This makes it easier to solve and understand the equation.

4. Is there any real-life application of the two powers theorem?

Yes, the two powers theorem has applications in computer science and computer programming. It is often used in algorithms and data structures to efficiently store and manipulate data. It is also used in cryptography to generate and break codes.

5. Is the two powers theorem a well-known and accepted concept in the field of mathematics?

Yes, the two powers theorem has been extensively studied and proven to be true by many mathematicians. It is widely accepted as a fundamental concept in number theory and has been used in various mathematical proofs and equations.