Better way of posting equations

• Thread starter BRN
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of posting equations, particularly using ##\LaTeX## or personal software such as CAD. Some users prefer using ##\LaTeX## for its typesetting abilities, while others find it cumbersome and prefer using personal software to prepare equations and diagrams. However, one potential issue with using personal software is that it may not allow others to quote or edit individual equations. The conversation ends with one user realizing they can also use ##\LaTeX## and being directed to a helpful guide.
BRN
Hi!
I want know if there is a better way to post equations compared to the existing?

Tanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What would you find a "better way"? If you find using ##\LaTeX## cumbersome, I can understand that it requires a bit of getting used to, but I can assure you that it is very much worthwhile, not only for your time here. There is a primer on it, too.

Likes BRN
Yeah, if you can tell us a better way to do equations than LaTeX, or a "visual" LaTeX editor, that can be integrated into Xenforo forum software, please do!

There is one better way and that is to prepare equations , diagrams , text and final layout using personal software and then paste or upload result into PF .

I use CAD but there is lots of other software available for this purpose .

Setting out even very complicated equations in clear format is easy in CAD because it is done graphically - you just move things around with the mouse until layout is perfect . Many fonts including scientific symbols are available but if anything special is needed you just create it and add to your personal graphic symbols library .

Nidum said:
Setting out even very complicated equations in clear format is very easy in CAD because it is done graphically - you just move things around with the mouse until layout is perfect .
One of the reasons why I like ##\LaTeX## is because I do not have to move things around to optimize the layout - the typesetter does it for me.

Out of curiosity: Can one also use ##\LaTeX## strings in typical CAD packages?

Not that I know of . Could be done though if facility was ever needed - most modern CAD systems allow user written routines to be added .

Likes S.G. Janssens
Nidum said:
There is one better way and that is to prepare equations , diagrams , text and final layout using personal software and then paste or upload result into PF .
This has one major problem: people replying to a post can't quote individual equations out of an image, or edit them to show corrections.

Krylov said:
What would you find a "better way"? If you find using ##\LaTeX## cumbersome, I can understand that it requires a bit of getting used to, but I can assure you that it is very much worthwhile, not only for your time here. There is a primer on it, too.

Ops! I'm sorry, but I did not realize that you could also use latex! Now I will!

Tanks!

Likes Nugatory and Greg Bernhardt

Related to Better way of posting equations

1. What is the purpose of using a better way of posting equations?

The purpose of using a better way of posting equations is to make them easier to read and understand. This can be especially important in scientific fields where accurate representation of equations is crucial.

2. What makes a better way of posting equations different from traditional methods?

A better way of posting equations typically involves the use of specialized software or tools that allow for more precise formatting and easier editing of equations. It may also include features such as automatic numbering and the ability to insert symbols and mathematical notation.

3. Are there specific guidelines that should be followed when posting equations?

Yes, there are guidelines that should be followed when posting equations to ensure accuracy and readability. These may include using proper notation and formatting, labeling all variables and symbols, and using appropriate font sizes and styles.

4. Can equations be posted in different formats?

Yes, equations can be posted in various formats depending on the medium. For example, equations may be posted in a document using a word processing software, on a website using HTML, or in a presentation using specialized software designed for scientific presentations.

5. How can a better way of posting equations benefit scientific research?

A better way of posting equations can greatly benefit scientific research by enhancing the accuracy and clarity of equations. This can lead to more precise calculations and analysis, which is essential for advancing scientific knowledge and understanding of complex concepts.