Best way for a layman to get up to speed on cosmology outside of school

In summary, the conversation discusses the various resources and materials available for someone interested in learning about cosmology and general relativity. These include books, online calculators, and class materials. The conversation also mentions specific websites and articles that explain the concepts in a clear and easy to understand manner without requiring advanced mathematical knowledge. Overall, there are many options available for someone looking to expand their understanding of these topics without going back to school.
Meatbot
I got as far as Calc 2 in college, took some college physics and read lots of popular cosmology books. What if I want to get technical now? What specific math do I need to know to fast track it without learning things that are irrelevant? It's too late to go back to school now.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Have a look at Lineweaver Inflation and the CMB
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0305179

it has equations, but they are easy equations
the graphs and figures are really helpful.
a lot of things are explained in a clear mathematical way without the math being especially hard
======================
start playing around with the java cosmology calculators at Ned Wright's site and also
the one at Morgan's site that converts redshift to recession speed.
http://www.uni.edu/morgans/ajjar/Cosmology/cosmos.html
when you start with it, put in three standard parameters
matter density 0.27
Lambda density 0.73
Hubble parameter 71

To find Ned Wright's cosmology calculators, just google Ned Wright
==========================

Here is a basic SciAm cosmoogy article by Lineweaver NOT technical (so not what you asked for) but valuable anyway
Misconceptions about the Big Bang.
http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST105/Readings/misconceptionsBigBang.pdf

Here are the class materials links for a Princeton General Astronomy course, see if anything there is useful
http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST105/syllabus.notes.html

==========================

FOR GENERAL RELATIVITY there is Sean Carroll's online textbook at the LivingReviews site. I can't personally recommend but people do use it as a textbook and he's a talented expository writer.

===========================

this is just a start. Other people will have other suggestions, I hope. I'll be interested to see what the others recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Best way for a layman to get up to speed on cosmology outside of school

1. What exactly is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves using physical laws and theories to understand the behavior and composition of the universe on a large scale.

2. How can a layman learn about cosmology without going to school?

There are many resources available for those interested in learning about cosmology outside of school. Some options include books, online courses, documentaries, and lectures. It's important to choose reputable sources and to have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics before diving into cosmology.

3. What are some key concepts to understand in cosmology?

Some key concepts in cosmology include the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, inflation, cosmic microwave background radiation, and the structure of the universe. These concepts can be complex, but there are plenty of beginner-friendly resources available to help understand them.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in physics or math to understand cosmology?

While having a basic understanding of physics and math can be helpful in understanding cosmology, it is not necessary. Many resources are available for those without a background in these subjects, and some may even provide a basic overview of the necessary concepts.

5. Are there any practical applications of cosmology?

While cosmology may seem like a purely theoretical field, it has many practical applications. For example, understanding the expansion of the universe and the behavior of galaxies can help us predict and prevent potential collisions between celestial bodies. Cosmological research also contributes to our understanding of the origins of the universe and the search for extraterrestrial life.