Best Mosfet for PIC PWM Motor Control?

In summary, the individual needs help finding a suitable mosfet for their PIC microcontroller to drive a 9v brushed DC motor. They have been trying to use a RFP30N06LE from Sparkfun.com but have been unsuccessful. They are seeking a solution and have been advised to use any "N-Channel enhancement-mode" power MOSFET. They also mention using PWM at around 1KHz, as they may be running the motor too slowly at 12Hz.
Apokalypz
Hi guys,

I need to use the PWM output of a PIC microcontroller to switch a mosfet to drive a 9v brushed DC motor @ 115 mA.

From what I've gathered, the mosfet should be logic level (fully on @ 3.33v since my Pic uses a 3.33v source). It needs to be able to handle the 115 mA of current at 9v without a heatsink. And I'm not really sure of the best frequency to run the pwm at, so I'm not sure of the required switching speed for the mosfet.

My Circuit is as follows:
PIC PWM output pin to R1, R1 splits off to the gate of Q1(the mosfet in question) and R2. R2 goes to ground, as does the source lead on Q1. The drain lead on Q1 goes to the (-) side of the motor, and the (+) side of the motor goes to a 9v source, there is a flyback diode between both motor terminals on the motor.

I currently have a RFP30N06LE I got from Sparkfun.com that I've been trying to use for the mosfet, but with no success (if I apply load to the motor, it just pulses at around 12 times per second from fully on to fully off. But with no load, the RPMs go up and down just fine.)

Does anyone have a sollution to this mosfet problem?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pretty much any "N-Channel enhancement-mode" power MOSFET should do your job -- the "enhancement-mode" bit basically means that they act like a "regular" NPN switching transistor. I got a bunch of FP3055LE's in a TO220 package from one of the online surplus places (goldmine, all-electronics, etc) and use them for running motors and solenoids from a 5v PIC, but they should work fine on 3.3v input too. It looks like your 30N06 fet should do the same, but the specsheet doesn't say "enhancement-mode", and I'm not smart enough to know the difference...

I would do PWM at around 1KHz. I don't know how you get 12Hz pulsing but it sounds like you may be running too slow.

Related to Best Mosfet for PIC PWM Motor Control?

What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic devices for switching and amplification purposes. It is made up of a metal-oxide-semiconductor structure and operates by controlling the flow of electrons through a channel between the source and drain terminals.

Why is a MOSFET important for PIC PWM motor control?

A MOSFET is important for PIC PWM motor control because it acts as a switch that can handle high currents and voltages, allowing the microcontroller to control the speed and direction of the motor. It also has a fast switching speed, making it ideal for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) applications where precise control of the motor is needed.

What factors should be considered when choosing the best MOSFET for PIC PWM motor control?

Some factors to consider when choosing the best MOSFET for PIC PWM motor control are the maximum current and voltage ratings, on-resistance, gate threshold voltage, and switching speed. It is also important to consider the type of load the motor will be driving and the overall application requirements.

What are some common types of MOSFETs used for PIC PWM motor control?

Some common types of MOSFETs used for PIC PWM motor control are N-channel MOSFETs, P-channel MOSFETs, and complementary MOSFET pairs (one N-channel and one P-channel). N-channel MOSFETs are more commonly used due to their lower cost and better performance in most applications.

What are some recommended MOSFETs for PIC PWM motor control?

Some recommended MOSFETs for PIC PWM motor control are the IRF540N, IRFZ44N, and IRF3205 N-channel MOSFETs, and the IRF9530 P-channel MOSFET. These MOSFETs have high current and voltage ratings, low on-resistance, and fast switching speeds, making them suitable for PWM motor control applications. It is important to consult the datasheet and consider the specific application requirements before choosing a MOSFET for PIC PWM motor control.