Best Logic Textbooks for Advanced Learning

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for logic textbooks, specifically for someone who has already covered introductory courses and is looking to delve deeper. Several textbooks are mentioned, including "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Elliott Mendelson, "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic" by Herbert Enderton, "Computability and Logic" by Boolos, Burgess and Jeffrey, and "Proofs and Types" by Girard, Taylor, and Lafont. Other topics related to logic, such as non-classical logics, model theory, and category theory, are also briefly mentioned. Finally, the conversation concludes with a recommendation to ask a professor or read textbook reviews for more recent logic textbooks.
hmmmmm
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good logic textbooks. I have done introductory courses covering, propositional and predicate logic (with natural deduction, semantic tableaux, axiomatic systems...) covering the completeness, soundness and compactness results (amongst other things) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a textbook to take me a bit further.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend Elliott Mendelson's "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" . also Herbert Enderton's "A mathematical introduction to logic"

hmmm16 said:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good logic textbooks. I have done introductory courses covering, propositional and predicate logic (with natural deduction, semantic tableaux, axiomatic systems...) covering the completeness, soundness and compactness results (amongst other things) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a textbook to take me a bit further.

Thanks for any help
IssacNewton's recommendation is a good one. I also liked Hunter's Metalogic.

IssacNewton said:
I would recommend Elliott Mendelson's "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" . also Herbert Enderton's "A mathematical introduction to logic"
These books are not bad, although there are some things I don't like about Mendelson. I had one of the early editions, and it only had Hilbert calculus as a deductive system. Also, its proofs, especially of Gödel's incompleteness theorems, were pretty dense. Finally, it described Von Neumann-Bernays-Gödel set theory instead of a much more popular ZFC. Newer editions may be better.

It seems you have studied the beginning of proof theory. The next logical step is Gödel's incompleteness theorems, which is described in the two books above. One classical and very good book is "Computability and Logic" by Boolos, Burgess and Jeffrey. Another classical book is "Mathematical Logic" by Shoenfield. There are also many other books about Gödel's theorems, such as "The Incompleteness Phenomenon" by Goldstern and Judah. Speaking about this, I would recommend a book for a wide audience (not really a math textbook) "Meta Math!: The Quest for Omega" by one of the founders of algorithmic complexity Chaitin. It gives a different view on Gödel's theorem.

Speaking about proof theory, another important area is non-classical logics, such as intuitionistic, modal and linear logics, which is a subject closely related to computer science. There is a classical book "Proofs and Types" by Girard, Taylor and Lafont, which is available online. There is also "Lectures on the Curry-Howard Isomorphism" by Sørensen and Urzyczyn, whose previous version is available online.

Proof theory is one of the four main parts of mathematical logic. There is a "Handbook of Mathematical Logic" edited by Barwise, which also includes parts on set theory, model theory and computability. There are many textbooks on set theory, such as "Intermediate Set Theory" by Drake and Singh. Classic books in model theory include "Model Theory" by Chang and Keisler. A couple of classic books on computability are "Theory of Recursive Functions and Effective Computability" by Rogers and "Recursion Theory" by Shoenfield.

One topic that is closely related to logic and computer science is category theory, or "abstract nonsense," as it is called by mathematicians. It plays an increasingly important role in the theory of programming languages, for example. "Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction to Categories" by Lawvere and Schanuel is a very gentle introduction. Another good classical book is "Topoi: The Categorial Analysis of Logic" by Goldblatt (available online).

Unfortunately, most of these books are pretty old, and I am not familiar with modern logic textbooks. For newer books, I would recommend asking a professor who teaches logic or looking through textbooks reviews in the "Bulletin of Symbolic Logic."

Thanks for the responses, I just picked up mendelson's book from the library yesterday so I shall see how that goes. I shall need to take a look for some of the books you recommended makarov.
thanks for the help

Related to Best Logic Textbooks for Advanced Learning

1. What makes a logic textbook suitable for advanced learning?

A logic textbook suitable for advanced learning should cover a wide range of topics, including advanced concepts and theories. It should also provide in-depth explanations and examples, as well as challenging exercises to help students develop critical thinking skills.

2. Are there any specific features or elements that make a logic textbook stand out?

A good logic textbook should have clear and concise language, organized structure, and a variety of visual aids such as diagrams and charts to aid understanding. It should also include real-world applications of logic to make the material more relatable and engaging.

3. What are some recommended logic textbooks for advanced learners?

Some highly recommended logic textbooks for advanced learning include "Introduction to Logic" by Irving M. Copi and Carl Cohen, "The Logic Book" by Merrie Bergmann, James Moor, and Jack Nelson, and "A Concise Introduction to Logic" by Patrick J. Hurley. These textbooks are widely used in universities and have received positive reviews from students and instructors.

4. How important is it to choose a logic textbook with updated editions?

It is important to choose a logic textbook with updated editions as it ensures that the material is current and reflects any new developments or changes in the field. Additionally, newer editions often include additional exercises and examples to further enhance learning.

5. Can a logic textbook be used as a self-study tool for advanced learners?

Yes, a logic textbook can be used as a self-study tool for advanced learners. However, it is recommended to supplement the textbook with other resources, such as online lectures and practice problems, for a more comprehensive understanding. It is also beneficial to seek guidance from a mentor or instructor for any questions or difficulties encountered while studying the material.