Best Fit for 2-D Shapes in Larger Shape?

In summary, The speaker, a programmer, is working on a project that involves finding the best fit for a set of 2-D shapes within a larger shape, mainly rectangles within a larger rectangle. They are asking if there are commonly used equations for this task, but someone suggests doing it through simulation instead.
KBean
Hi, my first post here and I'm not sure I'm in the right place or that I use the proper terms so please bear with me.

I'm a programmer by trade, and I'm working on a project whereby I need to arrive at the best fit for a set of 2-D shapes fitting within a larger shape. Mostly we're dealing with rectangles fitting within a larger rectangle. Is there a generally accepted set of equations for doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
KBean said:
Hi, my first post here and I'm not sure I'm in the right place or that I use the proper terms so please bear with me.

I'm a programmer by trade, and I'm working on a project whereby I need to arrive at the best fit for a set of 2-D shapes fitting within a larger shape. Mostly we're dealing with rectangles fitting within a larger rectangle. Is there a generally accepted set of equations for doing this?

there probably is but why not do it by simulation?

Related to Best Fit for 2-D Shapes in Larger Shape?

What is the definition of "Best Fit for 2-D Shapes in Larger Shape"?

The best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes refers to finding the most appropriate or optimal arrangement of smaller shapes within a larger shape, such as fitting multiple smaller triangles inside a larger square.

Why is it important to find the best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes?

Finding the best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes is important for practical applications, such as optimizing space usage in architecture or designing efficient packing methods for shipping. It also helps improve spatial understanding and problem-solving skills.

What factors should be considered when determining the best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes?

The factors that should be considered include the shape and size of the larger shape, the number and size of the smaller shapes, and the desired arrangement or pattern of the smaller shapes within the larger shape.

What strategies can be used to find the best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes?

There are various strategies that can be used, including trial and error, using geometric formulas and principles, and using computer algorithms. The most effective strategy will depend on the specific shapes and patterns involved.

How can the best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes be applied in real life?

The concept of best fit for 2-D shapes in larger shapes can be applied in various industries and fields, such as architecture, interior design, manufacturing, and even art. It can also be used to solve puzzles and brain teasers, and to enhance spatial thinking and problem-solving skills.