Best Common Folk Materials Slowing Light Down?

In summary: Are there any other materials you know of with similar properties?Thanks,Materials with high refractive indices can be found in some polymers. Silicon has about that refractive index for some wavelengths. Other materials with high refractive indices can be found in some polymers.
parlous
I'm aware that an Einstein-Bose Condensate can be made to slow EM energies to slow speeds but I really don't have the $$$ nor time to make a BEC. I also wouldn't be able to get the BEC shape in any form I need either. Therefore, what materials exist that can help me slow down some photons?

I know that diamond and quartz have relatively high refractive indexes, but am wondering if there are materials with indexes as high as 3.5?

I would trade a lower refractive index for the ability to transfer a large range of energies the same, ie - like diamond. Are there any polymers that can do what I am looking for?

Thanks,
Parlous

Science news on Phys.org
Well I'm off topic but are the photons really slowed? they still go at the speed of light... they just get absorbed by the material & the re-immited by the material & they then appear slower? am I right ? anyways I don't any materials with higher refractive index then diamonds but what do I know...

There are ferroelectric materials with index of refraction in the 100's. The MgCaTi compound that I deal with has index of refraction of 20.

Zz.

Thats right logik, photons r just repeatedly absorbed and emitted by matter. For my case this is fine; I'm simple try to stuff as many photons n a space per unit time as possible.

ZapperZ, thanks for the leads!

parlous said:
I'm aware that an Einstein-Bose Condensate can be made to slow EM energies to slow speeds but I really don't have the $$$ nor time to make a BEC. I also wouldn't be able to get the BEC shape in any form I need either. Therefore, what materials exist that can help me slow down some photons?

I know that diamond and quartz have relatively high refractive indexes, but am wondering if there are materials with indexes as high as 3.5?

I would trade a lower refractive index for the ability to transfer a large range of energies the same, ie - like diamond. Are there any polymers that can do what I am looking for?

Thanks,
Parlous

Wow, I wish I had seen this thread earlier. The whole point of my PhD thesis was finding a simple material that you could get slow light (group indices ~10^6). One of the simplest is ruby. http://www.optics.rochester.edu/workgroups/boyd/slowlight/slowlight.html a link to the group where I did my graduate work. There are several papers you can download from there. Send me a PM if you have any trouble and I can forward copies to you. I can even send you my thesis (pdf) if you want.

BTW, there is nothing special about a BEC in the creation of huge group velocities. Using the same physics, people have created slow light in hot rubidium vapor and other systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
parlous said:
I [...] am wondering if there are materials with indexes as high as 3.5?

Silicon has about that refractive index for some wavelengths. It surely is amongst the cheapest interesting materials too.

Related to Best Common Folk Materials Slowing Light Down?

1. What is the concept of slowing light down using common folk materials?

The concept of slowing down light using common folk materials is based on the principle of manipulating the speed of light in a medium. This can be achieved by using materials that have a high refractive index, which causes the light to travel slower as it passes through.

2. How does slowing light down using common folk materials benefit us?

Slowing down light using common folk materials has potential applications in various fields such as telecommunications, optical computing, and medical imaging. It can also help in the development of new technologies for controlling and manipulating light.

3. Can any material be used to slow down light?

No, not all materials can be used to slow down light. Common folk materials such as water, glass, and plastic are commonly used to slow down light due to their high refractive index. However, materials with a low refractive index, such as air, do not have a significant effect on slowing down light.

4. Is slowing light down using common folk materials a new concept?

No, the concept of slowing down light using common folk materials has been around for decades. However, recent advancements in technology have allowed scientists to experiment with different materials and techniques, leading to a better understanding of this phenomenon.

5. Are there any limitations to slowing light down using common folk materials?

Yes, there are limitations to slowing down light using common folk materials. The speed of light can only be slowed down to a certain extent, and the materials used can also have an impact on the quality and intensity of the light. Additionally, the process of slowing down light can be complex and expensive, limiting its practical applications.