Best Books to Learn Calculus in 2021

In summary: Well I just located one on Amazon for $859, that's right, (not a typo, not mine anyway), and one on abebooks for about $40, for a book worth maybe $25. Maybe that used book dealer asking $859 was bought out by Martin Shkreli?No i guess in that case it would have been $1250.
Alfin Abu
I have just started to learn calculus.Can you suggest the best book to grasp the concepts and to teach myself the true calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alfin Abu said:
I have just started to learn calculus.Can you suggest the best book to grasp the concepts and to teach myself the true calculus.
Well, you really should have explained a bit where you currently stand and which goals you have. For the "gap" between school and college or university, I usually recommend the books on https://openstax.org/subjects which are free. They might contain stuff you already know, but you can skip these parts, and have many exercises for practice. My recommendation would be a different one, if you, say, want to build a personal library or study calculus in deep, which again would depend on your goals: physicists might have different emphases than statisticians. However, for the basic concepts the books on OpenStax are fine and cheap.

There's Keisler's book on Calculus that uses the hyper-reals approach in addition to limits. Hyper-reals allow you to evaulate limiting expressions in an algebraic way.

https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

and there's the collection of math videos at www.mathispower4u.com on Calculus 1,2,3 and other related math from high school to first year college. Each video is a short 10 minutes.

I have not had personal experience with reading it, but a lot of people whose opinion I respect have suggested "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson. I flipped through it at the bookstore and it does seem like a nice introduction to the subject, emphasizing the concepts rather than the "tricks" on how to solve a particular integral or whatever.

I may be wrong, but as I read the question, the OP wants a deep grasp of calculus concepts, including theory, for which my best recommendations are still Courant, Spivak, and Apostol.

mathwonk said:
I may be wrong, but as I read the question, the OP wants a deep grasp of calculus concepts, including theory, for which my best recommendations are still Courant, Spivak, and Apostol.

He did say that he was just starting off, which is why I think that Spivak or Apostol would be too much. I really like the Silvanus Thompson book. I picked up a copy myself yesterday and it is really quite brilliantly written. It is an excellent introduction to the concepts.

Yes I am familiar with that book, first encountering it in 1960, when a friend who was also taking a spivak level course showed it to me (spivak's book not yet having been written). I later bought a lovely leather bound copy from many years ago and cherished it until i gave it as a present to a young student struggling with calculus. I still own a paperback copy of the newer edition that Martin Gardner produced, which to me has less charm than the original. I must say however that in all those years I never really learned anything from it, but greatly enjoyed the lighthearted attitude and modesty of the author, who was apparently a fellow of the royal society. I do not recommend it to anyone who actually wants to understand anything about calculus though. (But I see I did recommend it way back in post #8 of my thread "Who wants to be a mathematician?", now retitled "Should I become a mathematician?" for some reason, in the academic guidance section.) In that same post, I recommnded another book I think would be better to actually learn from as a beginner, namely "lectures on freshman calculus" by Cruse and Granberg, if it can be located.

Well I just located one on Amazon for $859, that's right, (not a typo, not mine anyway), and one on abebooks for about $40, for a book worth maybe $25. Maybe that used book dealer asking $859 was bought out by Martin Shkreli? no i guess in that case it would have been $1250.

Last edited:

Related to Best Books to Learn Calculus in 2021

1. What are the top-rated books for learning calculus in 2021?

Some of the top-rated books for learning calculus in 2021 include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A Adams and Christopher Essex.

2. Are there any books specifically designed for beginners in calculus?

Yes, there are several books designed for beginners in calculus such as "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson and "Calculus Essentials for Dummies" by Mark Ryan. These books provide a more accessible and simplified approach to learning calculus.

3. Are there any online resources to supplement book learning for calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement book learning for calculus. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera, which offer free online courses and tutorials on calculus.

4. Can I use older editions of calculus books to learn in 2021?

While it is always recommended to use the latest edition of a textbook, you can still use older editions of calculus books to learn in 2021. However, make sure to check for any major updates or changes in the newer editions to avoid missing important information.

5. Are there any interactive calculus books available?

Yes, there are some interactive calculus books available that offer a more engaging learning experience. One example is "Calculus Interactive Study Guide" by Paul Dawkins, which includes interactive animations, practice problems, and step-by-step solutions.