Best books for undergraduate physics

In summary, the conversation discusses books for an undergraduate physics degree and general physics books recommended by the individual. They mention books by Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalilli, and Richard Feynman, as well as the Halliday and Resnick book and Feynman's Lectures on Physics. They also recommend the Serway and Jewett Physics for Scientists and Engineers book.
Hawksteinman
I'm starting an undergraduate degree in physics on Friday (after a gap year and with a foundation year). What are the best books for undergraduate physics please (we don't have a reading list for first year) :)

And what are some general physics books I might be interested in (I recently bought an audiobook called 'Astrophysics for people on a hurry' by Niel de Grasse Tyson) and I like any books by Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalilli, and Richard Feynman. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A good standard book is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick. And for a physics major, I guess that Feynman's Lectures on Physics is something that you should at least be aware of. There is a free copy on-line at http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Likes Wrichik Basu, QuantumQuest, Lord Jestocost and 3 others
FactChecker said:
A good standard book is Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick. And for a physics major, I guess that Feynman's Lectures on Physics is something that you should at least be aware of. There is a free copy on-line at http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

I have been using Feynman's Lectures, yes :)

Likes vanhees71
Similar to the Halliday, Resnick, and Walker books, the Serway and Jewett Physics for Scientists and Engineers is good as well.

Likes Hawksteinman and Demystifier

Related to Best books for undergraduate physics

1. What are the best books for undergraduate physics?

The best books for undergraduate physics will vary depending on personal preferences and the specific focus of the course. However, some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor.

2. What makes a good book for undergraduate physics?

A good book for undergraduate physics should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of worked examples, and a variety of practice problems. It should also cover all the necessary topics in a comprehensive and organized manner.

3. Can I use older editions of textbooks for undergraduate physics?

It is generally recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook for undergraduate physics, as it will likely have updated content and improved explanations. However, older editions can still be used as long as they cover the same topics and have similar content.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement undergraduate physics textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement undergraduate physics textbooks. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube channels such as The Organic Chemistry Tutor and Flipping Physics.

5. How can I choose the best book for my specific undergraduate physics course?

To choose the best book for your specific undergraduate physics course, it is important to consider the topics covered in the course, your learning style, and any recommendations from your professor. You can also look at reviews and sample chapters of different textbooks to see which one best suits your needs.