Bernoulli's principle in stagnant situations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Bernoulli's equation in fluid mechanics, specifically when there is a lack of continuity. The speaker is questioning the validity of using Bernoulli's equation without continuity and is looking for a book that properly explains the situation. Another person joins the conversation and mentions that they have never questioned the use of Bernoulli's equation without continuity and that it can be derived directly from Euler's equation. The original speaker is intrigued and plans to investigate further.
intuitional
please note in the process proving bernoulli we use the CONTINUITY equation.Consider a situation wherein a pitot tube is used to measure pressure/velocity in a steady flow(picture attached for reference).Here we use bernoulli for pressure measurement.we apply the bernoulli theorem for a streamline which has some finite velocity at one end while zero(stagnation point) at the other end.This violates continuity and hence we canot apply bernoullis theorem in the first place itself!can ayone explain the situation
PS-in almost all fluid mechanics books they just apply bernoullis directly as written,without any explanation of the above question.a name of a book explaining the situation properly would be very helpful too.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
have already read them.the point here is the that continuity is essential for bernoulli(atleast from the proofs that i have seen till now).there is no point applying bernoulli if there is no continuity

have already read them.the point here is that while proving bernoulli you use continuity in the proof(atleast the proofs which i know) and continuity is not valid here at that specific point(A) for any streamline passing through it.so you cannot use bernoulli in the first place

have already read them.when you prove the bernoullis theorem you require continuity in some step while proving.but there is no coninuity here for the point A.so solving the problem using bernoulli is wrong which is done widely in every book and elsewhere.so how do you do it then?

intuitional said:
in the process proving bernoulli we use the CONTINUITY equation.

Where do you get this? I did not remember using continuity equation while deriving bernoulli's equation.

Your post is interesting. I don't have answer for now, guess I have to investigate a bit.

Well, I learned bernoulli's equation from one of the "every book" you mentioned and I never questioned the use of bernoulli's equation when there is no continuity.

You don't need the continuity equation to derive Bernoulli's equation. It can be done directly from Euler's equation assuming the flow is inviscid, incompressible and steady. In fact, just the other day I made a post where I did just that (see this thread). So in other words, whether or not continuity is satisfied, Bernoulli's equation still makes mathematical sense.

Related to Bernoulli's principle in stagnant situations

1. What is Bernoulli's principle in stagnant situations?

Bernoulli's principle in stagnant situations states that in a closed system with constant pressure and no energy loss, the total energy of the system remains constant. This means that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases and vice versa.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle apply to airplanes?

In airplanes, Bernoulli's principle explains how the shape of the wings creates a difference in air pressure, with lower pressure on top and higher pressure on the bottom. This creates lift, allowing the airplane to stay in the air.

3. Why is Bernoulli's principle important in fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle is important in fluid dynamics because it helps explain the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure, which is crucial in understanding how fluids move and behave in various situations.

4. Can Bernoulli's principle be applied to non-ideal fluids?

Yes, Bernoulli's principle can be applied to non-ideal fluids as long as there is no energy loss in the system. However, in non-ideal fluids, other factors such as viscosity and turbulence may also play a role in the behavior of the fluid.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle related to the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a fluid flows through a narrow section of a pipe, resulting in a decrease in pressure and an increase in velocity. This is directly related to Bernoulli's principle, as the decrease in pressure is caused by the increase in velocity according to the principle.