Bernoulli's principle- fluids ?

In summary, Bernoulli's principle states that the pressure and velocity of a fluid are inversely proportional. This can be expressed mathematically through the Bernoulli's equation, which relates pressure, velocity, and the change in height of a fluid. By manipulating the equation and using the fact that mass flow is constant, you can solve for the velocity in terms of area, ultimately leading to a simplified solution.
A_Munk3y
bernoulli's principle- fluids...?

Homework Statement

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4119/45086777.jpg

Homework Equations

A1V1=A2V2
P2+1/2pv1^2 = p1+1/2pv2^2
P+1/2mv^2 + pgy = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

V2=A1*V1/A2
1/2*p*A1^2*V1^2*p*g*h/A2^2=1/2pv1^2
2*g*h*A1^2V1^2/ A2^2=V1^2
V1=A1*V1gh/A2and I am stuck... i end up canceling the V1 >:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

GOOOOD!
i've tried like 10 different things and i can't get it..

Do you think this equation correct? "P2+1/2pv1^2 = p1+1/2pv2^2"

ehild

Write out your full Bernoulli's equation:
[tex]
P + \frac{\rho V^2}{2} + \rho g z = c
[/tex]
The pressure values are both places are ambient so they cancel. You have the change in distance z2 - z1, so the only thing left is to find the velocity. Unfortunately, you don't have this.

So, it will be useful to write our your velocity term as a function of mass flow and area. You know that mass flow is equal, so you will eventually be left with simply area.

i got it!
thanks ! :D

Related to Bernoulli's principle- fluids ?

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle, also known as Bernoulli's equation, is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.

How does Bernoulli's principle apply to fluids?

In fluids, Bernoulli's principle can be used to explain the relationship between the flow speed of a fluid and its surrounding pressure. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's principle in fluids?

Bernoulli's principle has various applications in the real world, such as in aircraft wings, where a curved shape creates a difference in air pressure and allows the plane to lift off. It also explains how a carburetor works in a car engine by using the change in pressure to mix fuel and air.

What are the limitations of Bernoulli's principle in fluids?

Bernoulli's principle is based on several simplifying assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and inviscid. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real fluids in complex situations, such as turbulence or compressible fluids.

How is Bernoulli's principle related to the conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's principle is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In fluid dynamics, the change in pressure and speed of a fluid is related to the conservation of energy, with the fluid's total energy remaining constant.