Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Pitot tube to calculate the flowrate and angle θ at the tip of a jet. The attempted solution is provided, along with concerns about the use of density in the calculations. The expert confirms that the calculations were correct and offers additional information on the function of a Pitot tube. The expert also mentions that the density does not affect the calculations in this case. The conversation ends with a link to a Wikipedia page on Pitot tubes.
louza8

Homework Statement

The tip of the Pitot tube is at the top of the jet. Calculate the flowrate and the angle θ .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attached images. 1 is the question and 1 is my attempted solution.

I think I perhaps have done the first part wrong where I calculate the horizontal component of the velocity. I assume the horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the trajectory, and that that the change in height z in the pitot tube is due to this velocity such that:

v=sqrt(2gz)

also, the lecturer has provided information that the fluid is water (density 1g/cm^3) and I haven't used this information hence my post here regarding my method.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 9.09.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 9.09.36 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 693
  • Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 9.16.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 9.16.54 PM.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
I think everything you did was correct. I checked for the functioning of a pitot tube and your formula for vx corresponds to what they state. The density drops out both for vx and vy. Maybe you prof was alluding to the fact that the fluid from the spout and that in the manometer were the same substance. Had they not been, their relative densities would have come into play.

Good job!

BTW it's pretty obvious that vx stays constant, right? No different than throwing a ball in the air at an angle etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

Last edited:
thanks for your time rude man

Related to Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question

1. What is Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question?

Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question is a physics problem that involves using Bernoulli's principle, which states that the pressure in a fluid decreases as the fluid's velocity increases. In this problem, a pitot tube is used to measure the airspeed of a jet.

2. How does a pitot tube work?

A pitot tube is a device that has two openings: one facing directly into the air flow and one facing perpendicular to the air flow. The difference in pressure between these two openings is used to calculate the airspeed of the jet. The faster the air is flowing, the greater the difference in pressure will be.

3. What are the main components of the Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question?

The main components of the Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question are the pitot tube, the airspeed of the jet, and the surrounding air. The problem usually involves finding the airspeed of the jet using the pressure measurements from the pitot tube and the known properties of air.

4. How is Bernoulli's principle applied to this problem?

In this problem, Bernoulli's principle is used to calculate the airspeed of the jet by measuring the difference in pressure between the two openings of the pitot tube. The principle states that as the airspeed increases, the pressure decreases, and this relationship is used to determine the airspeed of the jet.

5. What are some real-life applications of Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question?

Bernoulli's pitot tube jet question has many real-life applications, including in the aviation industry for measuring airspeed of airplanes, in the automotive industry for measuring airspeed of vehicles, and in meteorology for measuring wind speeds. It can also be used for monitoring air flow in ventilation systems and in environmental studies for measuring air pollution levels.