Bernoulli Equation - Units Question

In summary, the Bernoulli equation, when divided by density, has pressure units for each term. The middle term, although it may appear to have units of m^6, actually represents the kinetic energy of the fluid, which can be converted to pressure units. This equation is essentially a conservation of energy equation.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

My book says that each term in the Bernoulli equation (when divided by ρ, has pressure units). I don't see how.

Homework Equations

The Bernoulli equation for steady, incompressible flow is:

[tex]\frac{P}{\rho}+\frac{V^{2}}{2}+gz=constant[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplying the Bernoulli equation by density (ρ), we get:

[tex]P+\rho\frac{V^{2}}{2}+\rho gz=constant[/tex]

ρ = kg/m3 units

V2=m6 units

ρV2=kg*m3 units

How does the middle term in the Bernoulli equation with the units listed above count as having pressure units?

Pressure = Force/Area = Newtons/m2= [itex]\frac{\frac{kg\cdot m}{s^2}}{m^2}=\frac{kg}{m\cdot s^2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JJBladester! :smile:
JJBladester said:
V2=m6 units

Nooo :redface:

V is velocity! :biggrin:

(btw, Bernouilli's equation is essentially a conservation of energy equation, which is why you get a sort-of mv2/2 term :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Hi JJBladester! :smile:
Nooo :redface:

V is velocity! :biggrin:

I need more coffee. Wow, I wish I could unpost that last post.

Thanks for the reply, though. It makes a lot of sense now.

JJBladester said:
I need more coffee.

nooo, you need more sleep! :zzz: :wink:

=\frac{mass}{length\cdot time^2}

The middle term in the Bernoulli equation, ρV2/2, can be rewritten as:

\frac{kg}{m\cdot s^2} \cdot \frac{m^2}{s^2}=\frac{kg}{m\cdot s^2}

This shows that the units of ρV2/2 are indeed equivalent to pressure units. In fact, ρV2/2 is known as dynamic pressure, which is a type of pressure that is associated with the movement of a fluid. Therefore, the middle term in the Bernoulli equation does have pressure units.

Related to Bernoulli Equation - Units Question

1. What is the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. What are the units of the Bernoulli equation?

The units of the Bernoulli equation are energy per unit volume, typically represented as joules per cubic meter (J/m^3).

3. How is the Bernoulli equation used in practical applications?

The Bernoulli equation is used in many practical applications, such as in aircraft design, hydraulic engineering, and fluid flow measurement. It is also used in the design of pumps, turbines, and other devices that involve the flow of fluids.

4. Can the Bernoulli equation be applied to all fluids?

The Bernoulli equation can be applied to all fluids, as long as the fluid is in motion and the flow is steady, incompressible, and irrotational.

5. What are some limitations of the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation has some limitations, such as not being applicable to fluids with high viscosity or in turbulent flow. It also assumes that there is no energy loss due to friction, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.