Bernoulli Equation Simple derivation help

In summary, the Bernoulli's theorem derivation involves calculating the work done by pressure forces at different heights in a fluid. At the lower end of a pipe, the pressure is positive but the work done by the force created by this pressure is negative because it acts opposite to the displacement of the fluid. This is due to the fact that the fluid ahead of the section is pushing back on it. Similarly, at the upper end, the work done can also become negative if the fluid ahead is exerting a force to the left.
kashan123999

Homework Statement

Please help me as I am quite confused in Bernoulli's theorem derivation...In my textbook,it is considered that Fluid Moves from a Greater height h1 to lower height h2,The pressure on upper end is positive,while at the lower end,it is negative,i.e against the motion of fluid,I want to know why it is negative at the lower end of pipe

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kashan123999. Welcome to PF!

The pressure is not negative at h2 and hopefully your text is not really claiming that.

The derivation of the Bernoulli equation includes determining the work done by the pressure forces at each end of the section of fluid.

It should be clear that when the section of fluid moves a bit, the work done on the section of fluid by the pressure force at height h1 is positive while the work done by the pressure force at h2 is negative. The work is negative at h2 because the force created by the positive pressure P2 acts opposite to the displacement Δx.

So at h2, work = F2 Δx cos(180o) = -F2Δx = -(P2A2)Δx = -P2A2Δx.

So, P2 is not negative, but there is a negative sign in the work done by P2.

TSny said:

The pressure is not negative at h2 and hopefully your text is not really claiming that.

The derivation of the Bernoulli equation includes determining the work done by the pressure forces at each end of the section of fluid.

It should be clear that when the section of fluid moves a bit, the work done on the section of fluid by the pressure force at height h1 is positive while the work done by the pressure force at h2 is negative. The work is negative at h2 because the force created by the positive pressure P2 acts opposite to the displacement Δx.

Thank you very very much sir but still,Please tell me why the work done by p2 is negative...I mean at P1,the work is done on fluid by the fluid moving behind it which is intuitively positive,But what happens at P2,how come p2 has opposite direction?

TSny said:

Thank you very very much sir but still,Please tell me why the work done by p2 is negative...I mean at P1,the work is done on fluid by the fluid moving behind it which is intuitively positive,But what happens at P2,how come p2 has opposite direction than that of displacement of fluid x? which pressure does p2 represent?

Last edited:
In the figure, the purple shade shows the section of fluid that you are interested in. The light blue shows the fluid behind and ahead of this section. At the lower right end of the purple section, the fluid ahead of that section is pushing back to the left on the purple section with a force F2. Since the fluid is displacing to the right, the work done by F2 is negative.

[Edit: Pressure doesn't have a direction. But force created by pressure does have a direction. There is only one pressure at h2 and it's positive. The force which the purple fluid exerts on the blue fluid at h2 has a magnitude of P2A2 and acts to the right on the blue fluid. At the same time, the blue fluid exerts a force on the purple fluid of the same magnitude but toward the left (as shown in the diagram). This force acting to the left on the purple fluid does negative work on the purple fluid.]

Attachments

• Fluid.jpg
    Fluid.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited:
Likes simpsonsruler
TSny said:
In the figure, the purple shade shows the section of fluid that you are interested in. The light blue shows the fluid behind and ahead of this section. At the lower right end of the purple section, the fluid ahead of that section is pushing back to the left on the purple section with a force F2. Since the fluid is displacing to the right, the work done by F2 is negative.

[Edit: Pressure doesn't have a direction. But force created by pressure does have a direction. There is only one pressure at h2 and it's positive. The force which the purple fluid exerts on the blue fluid at h2 has a magnitude of P2A2 and acts to the right on the blue fluid. At the same time, the blue fluid exerts a force on the purple fluid of the same magnitude but toward the left (as shown in the diagram). This force acting to the left on the purple fluid does negative work on the purple fluid.]

Thank you very much sir,Now I got your point...but if we take a section of purple fluid on the upper portion,and after this section lies the blue fluid again,we can assume that the blue fluid is again exerting the force on purple fluid to the left...so work on the upper section can also become negative,how plausible is this assumption?

Attachments

• BERNOULLI.jpg
    BERNOULLI.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 950
kashan123999 said:
Thank you very much sir,Now I got your point...but if we take a section of purple fluid on the upper portion,and after this section lies the blue fluid again,we can assume that the blue fluid is again exerting the force on purple fluid to the left...so work on the upper section can also become negative,how plausible is this assumption?

Yes, the force acting to the left will do negative work on that purple section. At the same time the force (F1) acting to the right on that section will do positive work. As long as that purple section remains on the same horizontal level with constant cross sectional area A, the negative and positive works cancel.

TSny said:
Brilliant response. I was having a lot of trouble with this derivation, but it's clear now that the external work done at the second end of the tube is negative because the fluid at the external end is pushing against the flow of the fluid. By the dot product, the directions of these two vectors are separated by 180 degrees, and the work is therefore negative. For me, the key to understanding this was comprehending that the work is done by the external fluid on the surface area of the flowing fluid... Thank you, sir.

Related to Bernoulli Equation Simple derivation help

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at a given point in a flow. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

2. Why is the Bernoulli Equation important?

The Bernoulli Equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in pipes, pumps, and wings. It is also essential in the study of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, and is used in the design and analysis of many engineering systems.

3. What is the derivation of the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation can be derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. By considering the changes in kinetic, potential, and pressure energies along a streamline, the equation can be derived using basic calculus and fluid mechanics principles.

4. Is the Bernoulli Equation applicable to all fluids?

The Bernoulli Equation is applicable to all fluids, as long as certain assumptions are met. These include the fluid being incompressible, inviscid, and following a steady flow along a streamline. However, for high-speed or compressible flows, modifications to the equation must be made.

5. How can the Bernoulli Equation be applied in real-life situations?

The Bernoulli Equation has numerous practical applications, such as in the design of airplane wings, calculation of water flow rates in pipes, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pumps and turbines. It can also be used to explain phenomena such as lift on an airfoil and the formation of a vortex behind a moving object.