Bernoulli/ Continuity Eq'n problem

In summary: I'm assuming you are talking about the part where they are asking for the gauge pressure in the outlet pipe? If so, the answer is 1 atm.
jamesbiomed
First of all, thanks to all the PF mentors out here, especially TSny and pgardn, who have made physics doable and are helping me accomplish my dreams! Even when putting in the work its not easy to get all this stuff!

Homework Statement

A large water tank has an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The inlet pipe has a diameter of 3 cm and is 1 m above the bottom of the tank. The outlet pipe has a diameter of 9 cm and is 7 m above the bottom of the tank. A volume of 0.6 m3 of water enters the tank every three minutes at a gauge pressure of 1 atm.

(a) What is the velocity of the water in the outlet pipe?

Homework Equations

A1V1=A2V2

DV/Dt=AV (for both)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done three practice problems, and gotten them all right. The difference between those and this one, is that the volume of water enters over three minutes, instead of one. So I think that's part of where I'm messing up.

My method:

Knowing DV/Dt = Av, I plugged and chugged:

.6/180=(.045^2)pi*v1=> v1=.524 m/s. This exact method worked before, but for this problem, the answer is .589 m/s. Does anyone see where I messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently this is a tough one :)

Hello Jamesbiomed. If the problem stated that the volume flow rate in the outlet pipe is the same as the volume flow rate in the inlet pipe then I think your answer would be correct. But it could be that the amount of water in the tank is changing. Then the outflow rate would not match the inflow rate. It doesn't seem to me that there is enough information given. I guess there are additional questions being asked in the problem besides part (a). Perhaps those additional parts give some hints as to any assumptions that you are supposed to make.

Hey TSny! The only other part is a follow up:

(b) What is the gauge pressure in the outlet pipe?

So the gauge pressure will be different (which would be true whether the volume flow rate is the same or not I think)

Like I said, in three practices, setting volume flow rate equal to AV gave me the correct answer. So I would guess it they mean the rate should be equal. Since I don't know initial "v" I don't see another way to go about it if not.

Hi there! It's great to hear that you have been successful with similar problems before. It's important to recognize that each problem is unique and may require a different approach. In this case, it looks like you may have missed a key factor in the problem: the difference in height between the inlet and outlet pipes. This difference in height will affect the velocity of the water in the outlet pipe, as it will experience gravitational acceleration as it flows downwards.

To solve this problem, you can use the Bernoulli equation, which relates the pressure, density, and velocity of a fluid at two different points in a system. In this case, we can set the inlet point at the top of the inlet pipe and the outlet point at the top of the outlet pipe. The equation is as follows:

P1 + (1/2)ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + (1/2)ρv2^2 + ρgh2

Where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, and h is the height.

Plugging in the given values, we get:

1 atm + (1/2)(1000 kg/m^3)(v1)^2 + (1000 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(1 m) = 1 atm + (1/2)(1000 kg/m^3)(v2)^2 + (1000 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(7 m)

Simplifying and solving for v2, we get:

v2 = √[(v1)^2 + 2gh]

Plugging in the value of v1 that you calculated (.524 m/s), we get:

v2 = √[(.524 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s^2)(7 m)] = .589 m/s

This matches the answer you were given, so it looks like you were on the right track! Just be sure to pay attention to all the given information in the problem and use the appropriate equations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Bernoulli/ Continuity Eq'n problem

What is the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in motion. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, meaning that as the velocity of the fluid increases, its pressure decreases and vice versa.

What is the Continuity equation?

The Continuity equation is another fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that states that the mass flow rate of a fluid is constant at any given point in a closed system. It is based on the principle of conservation of mass and is expressed as the product of the cross-sectional area, velocity, and density of the fluid.

How are the Bernoulli and Continuity equations related?

The Bernoulli and Continuity equations are closely related as they both describe different aspects of fluid flow. The Bernoulli equation describes the relationship between pressure and velocity, while the Continuity equation describes the relationship between velocity and mass flow rate. Together, these equations can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in motion.

What assumptions are made in solving Bernoulli/Continuity equation problems?

In solving Bernoulli/Continuity equation problems, it is assumed that the fluid is non-viscous (frictionless), incompressible (constant density), and flows in a steady state (no change in time). These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and analysis of fluid flow.

What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli/Continuity equations?

The Bernoulli/Continuity equations have many real-world applications, including in the design of airplane wings, water distribution systems, and hydraulic systems. They are also used in weather forecasting, analyzing blood flow in the human body, and studying ocean currents. These equations are essential tools for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various engineering and scientific fields.