Bent rod rotating in a magnetic field

In summary, the homework equation states that if two points are connected by a wire, then the voltage between them is zero. However, if the points are connected by a rod, then the voltage between them is not zero.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Two rods.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering the two rods separately .Considering QP alone EMF induced will be (1/2)Bωl2 with Q at higher potential .

Considering QR alone EMF induced will be (1/2)Bωl2 with Q at higher potential .

This gives zero potential difference between P and R.

But this is incorrect .

What is the mistake ?

Attachments

• Two rods.jpg
    Two rods.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,054
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Considering QR alone EMF induced will be (1/2)Bωl2
Why?
Consider six points, B, R, S..., arranged around P as corners of a hexagon. What is the potential difference between each and the next?

I see my mistake .

Thanks !

@haruspex , @Charles Link If I connect P and R with a rod/wire such that PQR is a complete loop , there would be no current in the loop . Right ?

So basically VP - VR = -(1/2)Bωl2 irrespective of whether there is an incomplete loop (like in the OP) or a complete triangular loop (like the modified setup in the above para ). Right ?

Likes Charles Link
@Jahnavi I need a few minutes to work outt what the sign of the voltage is, etc., but this problem reminded me of a previous one that I looked up, because I remembered it as having the necessary concepts to determine the answer: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...een-two-points-in-a-loop.943126/#post-5966332 See in particular post 9 of that thread. ## \\ ## And yes, I think you have this one correct. ## \\ ## And QR above has zero voltage, because you could draw an arc of a circle connection between Q and R that has is always at a distance ##r ## from P. The electric field ##\vec{ E}_{induced } ## would be perpendicular to the arc at any point, because ## \vec{v} ## is along the arc. (Using ## \vec{E}_{induced}=\vec{v} \times \vec{B} ##). This makes ## \int \vec{E}_{induced} \cdot d \vec{l}=0 ## because the dot product of ##\vec{E}_{induced} \cdot d \vec{l}=0 ## along that arc. (You arrived at that same conclusion by considering the voltage for the straight line path from points P to R).

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
OK .

Suppose we join P and R so that we have a triangular loop. There will be equal EMF's induced in PQ and PR . There will be no induced EMF in QR .

Is this situation equivalent to as if we had a battery of EMF E between P and Q with Q at positive potential of the battery . A battery of same EMF E between P and R with R at positive potential of battery . Q and R are connected by a plain connecting wire .

So , basically the loop of three rods (modified problem ) is equivalent to two batteries of equal EMF ( between PR and PQ) placed parallel to each other . Because of this no current flows between Q and R . Or , no current flows in the loop .

Is this correct ?

Likes Charles Link
Yes, a battery is a source of EMF, and yes, you have it correct. :) ## \\ ## And when two equal voltage batteries are connected in parallel, no current flows between them.

Likes Jahnavi
OK . I am bit confused with induced EMF's and potential differences .

Suppose we change the geometry of the triangular loop such that angle between PQ and QR is 90° instead of 60° as given in the OP . PQ = QR = l . PR =√2l

Now EMF induced between P and R will be Bωl2 with R at higher potential . EMF induced between P and Q will be (1/2)Bωl2 with Q at higher potential .

Now why is it that despite R being at higher potential than Q , no current flows between R and Q ?

Is it because , now there will also be an induced EMF between Q and R with R at higher potential ?

Now the situation is as if there is a battery of EMF E ( between P and Q) in series with battery of EMF E (between Q and R ) .The equivalent EMF being 2E .

Just like the previous case , now this battery of EMF 2E between P and R ( via Q) will be in parallel with a battery of EMF 2E ( directly between P and R ) .

Is this thinking okay ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . I am bit confused with induced EMF's .

Suppose we change the geometry of the triangular loop such that angle between PQ and QR is 90° instead of 60° as given in the OP . PQ = QR = l .

Now EMF induced between P and R will be Bωl2 with R at higher potential . EMF induced between P and Q will be (1/2)Bωl2 with Q at higher potential .

Now why is it that despite R being at higher potential than Q , no current flows between R and Q ?

Is it because , now there will also be an induced EMF between Q and R with R at higher potential ?

Now the situation is as if there is a battery of EMF E ( between P and Q) in series with battery of EMF E (between Q and R ) .The equivalent EMF being 2E .

Just like the previous case , now this battery of EMF 2E between P and R ( via Q) will be in parallel with a battery of EMF 2E ( directly between P and R ) .

Is this thinking okay ?
That is correct. The distance PR will be ## s=\sqrt{2} r ## making ## s^2 ## a factor of 2 in the formula for the voltage between P and R. The voltage QR is most easily computed in the way that you just did . An evaluation of ## \mathcal{E}_{QR}=\int\limits_{Q}^{R} E_{induced} \cdot dl ## would take a little work.

OK .

So basically while dealing with induced EMF's in a complete/incomplete loop we could think of the situation in terms of batteries in various parts of the loops .

If we traverse the loop starting a point and ending at the same point , all the batteries will be in series . If there is no net induced EMF in the loop , then net equivalent EMF of all the batteries (in series ) will be zero .

Right ?

Likes Charles Link
Thank you very much !

Likes Charles Link

Related to Bent rod rotating in a magnetic field

What is a bent rod rotating in a magnetic field?

A bent rod rotating in a magnetic field is a simple physics demonstration that shows the interaction between electricity and magnetism. It involves a bent conducting rod that is placed in a magnetic field and then rotated.

How does a bent rod rotate in a magnetic field?

When an electric current is passed through the bent rod, it creates a magnetic field around the rod. This magnetic field interacts with the external magnetic field, causing the rod to rotate due to the principle of electromagnetic induction.

What factors affect the rotation of a bent rod in a magnetic field?

The rotation of a bent rod in a magnetic field is affected by a few factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the angle of the bend in the rod, and the direction of the current flowing through the rod.

What is the purpose of the bent rod rotating in a magnetic field experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction and the interaction between electricity and magnetism. It also helps in understanding the concept of a motor, which uses the same principles to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

What are some real-world applications of a bent rod rotating in a magnetic field?

The principle of a bent rod rotating in a magnetic field is used in various real-world applications, such as electric motors, generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in MRI machines to create images of the body's internal structures.