Beginner/Novice Circuits - Seeking Suggestions

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for beginner/novice level books on fundamental theories and example circuits in the field of electrical engineering. One suggestion is the book "Art of Electronics" by Malvino which is considered to be a good resource for self-study. Another suggested book is "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Chapman, which focuses on electromechanical circuits. A third book mentioned is "Hughes Electrical and Electronic Technology," which is commonly used in electrical and electronic engineering degree programs. The conversation also briefly touches on the difficulty level and clarity of the recommended books.
ColonelPanic
My apologies if this has been asked before...

I am looking for some beginner/novice level books that would both show the fundamental theories and also some example circuits to go along with the theory. Could anyone suggest a few titles that would actually be worth reading and using a reference tool?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on what theories you want to study. I have found "Art of Electronics" and "Electronic principles" by Malvino both to be good books. Also for electromechanical circuits i like "Electric machinery fundamentals" by chapman. Hope that answers the question.

shariq92 said:
depends on what theories you want to study. I have found "art of electronics" and "electronic principles" by malvino both to be good books. Also for electromechanical circuits i like "electric machinery fundamentals" by chapman. Hope that answers the question.

+1000

Hughes Electrical and Electronic Technology, it's the key textbook for the first couple of years of my electrical and electronic engineering degree

Are there any good books on EE in general that are not like textbooks?

astonmartin said:
Are there any good books on EE in general that are not like textbooks?

Malvino Electronics Principles is as good as it gets. I studied on my own with no instructor. That's the first book I studied and I used the stuff I learned in designs for years since. It is not difficult to read, not much difficult formulas, clear explanation. You don't get better than this one. It explains in English, not in formulas.

Related to Beginner/Novice Circuits - Seeking Suggestions

1. What are some good resources for learning about beginner circuits?

There are many excellent resources available for learning about beginner circuits. Some popular options include online tutorials and courses, books, and hands-on workshops or classes. You can also find helpful information and tips on websites and forums dedicated to electronics and circuitry.

2. What type of equipment do I need to get started with beginner circuits?

To get started with beginner circuits, you will need some basic equipment such as a breadboard, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, and jumper wires. You may also need a soldering iron, multimeter, and other tools depending on the complexity of the circuits you are working with.

3. What are some common beginner circuit projects that I can try?

There are many fun and simple beginner circuit projects that you can try, such as building a basic LED circuit, creating a push-button switch, or making a light-sensitive buzzer. Other popular projects include building a motorized car, a simple radio, or a mini synthesizer. The possibilities are endless!

4. How can I troubleshoot problems with my beginner circuit?

If you encounter problems with your beginner circuit, the first step is to check all of your connections and make sure everything is properly connected. You can also use a multimeter to test the components and ensure they are functioning correctly. If you are still having trouble, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help and advice from more experienced circuit designers.

5. What are some tips for designing my own beginner circuits?

When designing your own beginner circuits, it is important to start with a clear and simple idea. Use a breadboard to test your circuit before soldering it together, and don't be afraid to experiment and try new things. It can also be helpful to draw out your circuit on paper before building it and to document your process so you can refer back to it in the future.