Been BBQing since 545 AM time for a break

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break Time
In summary: Everything turned out pretty well. The troops demolished the 6 racks of ribs and brisket in no time. At least 10 of the 20 people there came up to me individually and said I need to open up my own catering business. The highlight of the show had to have been the brisket. It was incredibly moist and tender. I had a hard time cutting it into slices because it was so moist it kept falling the apart. Same for the ribs. The rib meat just fell off the bone. For ribs, use less salt. I used 3 parts of brown sugar for 1 part of salt. After that I covered the ribs in white pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. The secret is that after 2.5 hours,
gravenewworld
6AM

1 set of ribs (3 racks). Cook time: 4 hours

9 AM-

10 lbs beef brisket Cook time: 9-10 hours

2 PM

2nd set of ribs (another 3 racks). Cook time: 4 hours.

Using mesquite chips to smoke.

Who likes BBQ?

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
6AM

1 set of ribs (3 racks). Cook time: 4 hours

9 AM-

10 lbs beef brisket Cook time: 9-10 hours

2 PM

2nd set of ribs (another 3 racks). Cook time: 4 hours.

Using mesquite chips to smoke.

Who likes BBQ?

*drool* looks like you deserve a break though :)

:!) who doesn't like BBQ?

I love BBQ... but at BBQing at the crack of dawn on Friday??

What's that about? :confused:

Math Is Hard said:
I love BBQ... but at BBQing at the crack of dawn on Friday??

What's that about? :confused:

The brisket takes 9-10 hours so I had to start that at around 9. The grill can only fit so much so I had to cook some ribs (since they take 4 hours each) in the morning and will cook the rest at around 2. The first set of ribs just came off, the brisket has been on for almost 3 hours, and the second rack is currently all rubbed up w/ spices and ready to go in 2 hours.

*drool* looks like you deserve a break though :)

Actually BBQing really isn't that labor intensive, only time intensive. The WORST part was grinding up all the sirloin I bought by hand to make burgers with. I never tried it before and never knew it was going to be that difficult. I'll have to buy an automatic grinder for next time.

Ahh. OK then, just let me know what time to come over with the cole slaw.

That all sounds delicious...I wish I had some actual yard space so I could have a lot of people over for a big barbecue...

Mmmm! We're having friends over tomorrow for a cookout on the back deck. I'm going to make some of my HOT wine-based marinade and grill some chicken legs in that, and have burgers and dogs ready for the wimps who can't tolerate habanero. A cooler full of Molson Golden on ice, some potato salad and a few appetizers, and we're good to go.

gravenewworld said:
The WORST part was grinding up all the sirloin I bought by hand to make burgers with. I never tried it before and never knew it was going to be that difficult. I'll have to buy an automatic grinder for next time.

mmm... BBQ and arm muscle. *drool*

So how did it come out, gnw?

lisab said:
So how did it come out, gnw?

Everything turned out pretty well. The troops demolished the 6 racks of ribs and brisket in no time. At least 10 of the 20 people there came up to me individually and said I need to open up my own catering business.

The highlight of the show had to have been the brisket. It was incredibly moist and tender. I had a hard time cutting it into slices because it was so moist it kept falling the apart. Same for the ribs. The rib meat just fell off the bone.

For ribs, use less salt. I used 3 parts of brown sugar for 1 part of salt. After that I covered the ribs in white pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. The secret is that after 2.5 hours, you have to wrap and cover the entire rack of ribs with heavy duty tin foil and make sure there are no holes in it where moisture can escape. Then cook the ribs for another 1.5 hours. The foil traps all the moisture and bastes the ribs in their own juice.

For the brisket I upped the salt. A good rub has 1 part salt to 1 part brown sugar. I put on the rub and cooked the brisket at 275 F for 4 hours. The same idea applies for the brisket--after 4 hours I wrapped the brisket in tin foil and cooked it for another 4 hours. The secret to brisket is that after it is done cooking, you must wait at least 1 hour before cutting it up and serving. If you try to cut the brisket while it is still hot you will see steam coming off which means you are losing moisture and juiciness.

Related to Been BBQing since 545 AM time for a break

1. What is the significance of the time "545 AM" in the statement "Been BBQing since 545 AM time for a break"?

The time "545 AM" is significant because it signifies the start of the BBQing process. It indicates that the person has been BBQing since early in the morning and is now ready for a break.

2. Why would someone BBQ so early in the morning?

There could be a few reasons for this. One reason could be that the person is preparing for a large gathering or event later in the day and needs to start cooking early. Another reason could be that they prefer to cook in the cooler morning temperatures rather than the heat of the day.

3. How long has the person been BBQing for?

Based on the statement, we can assume that the person has been BBQing for several hours, since 545 AM. However, the exact length of time would depend on when they started cooking and when they plan to take a break.

4. What type of food is being BBQed?

The statement does not specify the type of food being BBQed. It could be anything from meat to vegetables to seafood. The type of food would depend on the preferences of the person BBQing.

5. Is it normal to take a break while BBQing?

Yes, it is normal to take a break while BBQing. Cooking can be physically demanding and taking a break can help prevent exhaustion or overcooking the food. It also allows the person to take a breather and socialize with others while the food is cooking.