Beating the physics of a railgun

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electromagnet wired in series with the rails of a rail gun to prevent the counter current from Faraday's law and allow the projectile to continue accelerating. The speaker also mentions trying to model this scenario but encountering difficulties due to the interdependence of factors. The question is posed if anyone has attempted to model this scenario or the speed vs distance graph of a rail gun with a constant magnetic field.
Anthony physics
Ive recently been thinking of rail guns. When i first learned about this type of motor ( we use to call it the linear motor), i read that the projectile would eventually reach a top speed because of faraday's law creating a counter current. However, what if the magnetic field ( the one that is required for lorentz force to work) was created by an electromagnet that was wired in series with the actual rails. It seems that the "faraday induced voltage" could never get strong enough to cancel out the voltage of the battery powering the rails. I say this because the "faraday induced voltage" relies on the magnetic flux and should the voltages cancel out, the magnetic field would be canceled also. Since no mag field, their would no longer be any mag flux and the "faraday induced voltage would be zero" allowing the projectile to accelerate.

Ive tried to model the scenario with an equation of speed vs distance traveled of the projectile but i keep hitting a wall as the "faraday induced voltage" depends on the speed which depends on the current which depends on the "faraday induced voltage". Having the magnetic field also depend on the faraday induced voltage and complicates it even further.

Im sure I've gone wrong with my reasoning somewhere but regardless Has anyone tried to model this scenario or even model the speed vs distance graph of a railgun with constant mag field??

Thanks for any and all responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anthony physics said:
their would no longer be any mag flux and the "faraday induced voltage would be zero" allowing the projectile to accelerate.
What would accelerate the projectile if there is no longer any magnetic field?

I guess i missworded. The point was, there would never be a point when the current or the field would be zero because as they get smaller and smaller, the back voltage produced by faraday would also get smaller and smaller

Related to Beating the physics of a railgun

1. How does a railgun work?

A railgun works by using electromagnetic forces to accelerate a projectile along two conductive rails. A high-powered electrical current is sent through the rails, creating a magnetic field that propels the projectile forward at high speeds.

2. What makes a railgun more powerful than traditional guns?

Unlike traditional guns that use chemical reactions to launch a projectile, railguns use electricity and magnetism. This allows them to achieve much higher velocities and thus greater range and impact.

3. What challenges are involved in beating the physics of a railgun?

One of the main challenges in beating the physics of a railgun is managing the immense energy and heat generated during the firing process. The rails and other components of the railgun must be able to withstand and dissipate this energy without causing damage.

4. How fast can a railgun shoot a projectile?

The speed of a projectile in a railgun depends on various factors such as the size and design of the railgun, the type of projectile, and the amount of power being used. However, some railguns have been able to achieve speeds of over 7,000 miles per hour.

5. What are the potential applications of railgun technology?

Railgun technology has many potential applications, including military use for long-range artillery and anti-ship weapons, space exploration for launching satellites and spacecraft, and even transportation for high-speed trains. It may also have uses in renewable energy and propulsion systems for spacecraft and other vehicles.