Beam statics: continous load analysis

In summary, the conversation was about setting the free body diagram for a problem, where the person was struggling with understanding how to set the diagram and asked for help. The other person suggested replacing all the connecting pieces and supports with reaction forces, and the person asked for clarification on how the rigid lever and flat bar were joined together. The other person confirmed that the person's work so far was correct, but also mentioned that there should be a vertical reaction at point B, although it did not affect the answer.
Marvin94

Homework Statement

IMG_20150802_180731.jpg

I just don't understand how to set the problem for the free body diagram (point (a) and (b)). Can someone help me with this problem? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're just replacing all the connecting pieces and supports with reaction forces. Give it a try.

My problem is, that I don't understand what keep the rigid lever and the flat bar together..

I would assume they are rigidly joined together.

Is it correct what I did till now?

IMG_20150802_184855.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150802_184855.jpg
    IMG_20150802_184855.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 222
Yes, looks good to me.

Technically there is supposed to be a vertical reaction at B also but that doesn't change your answer.

Related to Beam statics: continous load analysis

What is beam statics?

Beam statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces and moments acting on a beam that is in a state of equilibrium. It is used to determine the internal forces and deformations of a beam under different loading conditions.

What are the different types of loads in beam statics?

The different types of loads in beam statics include point loads, distributed loads, and concentrated moments. Point loads are applied at a specific point along the beam, distributed loads are applied over a certain length of the beam, and concentrated moments are applied at a specific point and cause the beam to rotate.

How do you calculate the reactions at supports in beam statics?

To calculate the reactions at supports in beam statics, you need to first draw the free body diagram of the beam and apply the equations of equilibrium. The sum of all forces in the vertical direction must equal zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also equal zero. By solving these equations, you can determine the reactions at the supports.

What is the difference between statically determinate and indeterminate beams?

A statically determinate beam is one in which the reactions at the supports can be determined using only the equations of equilibrium. This means that the number of unknown forces and moments is equal to the number of equations available to solve for them. In contrast, an indeterminate beam requires additional equations, such as compatibility equations, to determine all the unknown forces and moments.

How do you determine the internal forces and deformations in a beam under a continuous load?

To determine the internal forces and deformations in a beam under a continuous load, you need to use the principles of superposition. This involves breaking down the continuous load into smaller, simpler loads, and calculating the internal forces and deformations for each of these loads separately. The results are then combined to determine the total internal forces and deformations in the beam.