Beam splitter energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses a beam splitter and its properties, specifically the condition of conservation of energy. The equation e^{ikx} -> \sqrt{T}e^{ikx} + \sqrt{R}e^{i\theta}e^{iky} describes the behavior of the beam splitter, and the condition \theta + \theta' = \pi is necessary for energy conservation. However, there is an additional solution of \theta - \theta' = \pi, which is not mentioned in the text and remains unexplained. The questioner is unsure why this solution exists and how it can be eliminated.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

If we describe a beam splitter as follows:

[tex]e^{ikx} -> \sqrt{T}e^{ikx} + \sqrt{R}e^{i\theta}e^{iky}[/tex]
[tex]e^{iky} -> \sqrt{T}e^{iky} + \sqrt{R}e^{i\theta'}e^{ikx}[/tex]

then [itex]\theta+\theta'=\pi[/itex] is a condition to ensure conservation of energy according to my text.

I tried working this out by taking [itex]Ae^{ikx}+Be^{iky}[/itex] incident on a beam splitter. The incident energy is [itex]A^{2}+B^{2}[/itex].

The output is

[itex]A\sqrt{T}e^{ikx} + A\sqrt{R}e^{i\theta}e^{iky} +B\sqrt{T}e^{iky} + B\sqrt{R}e^{i\theta'}e^{ikx}[/itex]

Its energy is [itex]A^{2} + B^{2} + AB\sqrt{TR}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})+AB\sqrt{TR}(e^{i\theta'}+e^{-i\theta'})[/itex]

So, to preserve conservation, we must have [itex]2cos(\theta)+2cos(\theta')=0[/itex]

That gives [itex]\theta+\theta'=\pi[/itex] or [itex]\theta -\theta'=\pi[/itex]. But I never see this second result anywhere. Why is it there and how is it eliminated?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Strange thing is that I have the answer but an extra solution which should be invalid. Thank you

Related to Beam splitter energy conservation

1. How does a beam splitter conserve energy?

A beam splitter conserves energy by splitting a beam of light into two parts, rather than completely absorbing it. This allows both parts of the beam to continue on their path, effectively conserving the total amount of energy.

2. What is the principle behind beam splitter energy conservation?

The principle behind beam splitter energy conservation is based on the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the law of conservation of energy. This states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. By splitting the beam of light, the energy is simply redistributed rather than being lost.

3. Does using a beam splitter affect the quality of the light?

In most cases, using a beam splitter does not significantly affect the quality of the light. However, there may be slight differences in the intensity or polarization of the light after passing through the splitter, depending on the type and quality of the splitter being used.

4. How efficient is a beam splitter at conserving energy?

The efficiency of a beam splitter at conserving energy depends on various factors such as the type of splitter, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. In general, beam splitters are highly efficient at conserving energy, with most commercial splitters having efficiency rates of over 99%.

5. Are there any limitations to beam splitter energy conservation?

While beam splitters are effective at conserving energy, there are some limitations to consider. For example, they may not work well with certain types of light, such as highly polarized or coherent light. Additionally, some energy may be lost due to imperfect reflection or absorption within the splitter itself.