Battery Pack for a SINAD device

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of using a SinAdder 3 on ships due to a lack of standard power outlets, and the suggestion to replace the brick with a battery pack in order to perform monthly checks. The manual for the SinAdder 3 is referenced, with suggestions for using an 8 AA battery pack and 1N4002 diodes to power the device. Additional advice is given to use a Radio Shack R/C 1000 9.6v race car pack as a battery solution, with the added convenience of a clip lock connector. This option is estimated to provide 8 hours of use without needing to recharge.
Valhalla
I work for the Coast Guard reserves as an ET. My primary duties include performing the monthly Preventative Maintenance onboard the ships at the nearby station. Of the monthly checks I must do, one is perform the SINAD for the radios. We have a SinAdder 3 which works fine in the shop. However, it is very difficult to use onboard the ship because there are no standard power outlets. This PMS has not been completed lately because of the difficulty.

What I would like to do is remove the brick and replace it with a battery pack. This way I can take it to the ships with my sig. gen (which has its own battery pack) and perform my PMS. This is the operator's manual for the SinAdder 3
http://www.repeater-builder.com/other-mfrs/helper-ind-sinadder-3.pdf
On page 6 the owner of this manual edited in a possible placement of a NiCad battery pack in line with a diode. On the board print on page 7 there is a battery terminal point. Now if I go to radioshack and buy an 8 AA battery pack and a single battery AA (to make it 13.5V) and some 1N4002 diodes and hook it up to the +battery terminal and ground it should work, right? Any ideas? Am I on the right track? (Sorry if this is a little basic, it is the gov's equipment and I don't want to break it! Then we would all be paying for it!)

Thanks!
Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If S3a and Cr5 are physically present just hook the pack connector to where it says 12v DC in, otherwise add the diode as shown. Take care with the connector polarity.

I would use one of the Radio Shack R/C 1000 9.6v race car packs. It's really 12v not 9.6v and all nicely packaged. The 9.6v is under maximum load. Get the "replacement" connector package as well, so you have the proper connector to wire to your unit. Package with battery/charger and extra connector < $20. The unloaded voltage is perfect for you. The clip lock connector makes a nice switch if your unit doesn't actually have one all ready.

I use these for portable video equipment.
Work well.
Should run your unit at least 8 hours without recharging.

Hello Will,

Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas for improving the SINAD device for your Coast Guard duties. It sounds like the lack of standard power outlets onboard the ship has been a challenge for completing your PMS tasks, and I commend you for finding a potential solution.

Based on the manual you provided and your plan to use a battery pack, it does seem like you are on the right track. However, I would recommend consulting with a certified technician or engineer to ensure that your modifications are safe and will not damage the device. It's always better to be cautious when working with government equipment.

Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to the manufacturer or supplier of the SINAD device to see if they have any recommendations or approved modifications for using a battery pack. They may also have specific guidelines or instructions for integrating a battery pack into the device.

Overall, I appreciate your dedication to finding a solution and ensuring that the equipment is not damaged. Good luck with your modifications and I hope it helps make your PMS tasks easier onboard the ship. Thank you for your service with the Coast Guard reserves.

Related to Battery Pack for a SINAD device

What is a battery pack for a SINAD device?

A battery pack for a SINAD device is a portable power source specifically designed to provide power for a SINAD (Signal-to-Noise and Distortion) device. It is used to measure the quality of a radio receiver's output signal.

What type of battery is used in a SINAD device?

The type of battery used in a SINAD device can vary depending on the specific model. Some devices may use standard AA or AAA batteries, while others may use rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. It is important to check the device's specifications or manual to determine the type of battery needed.

How long does the battery last in a SINAD device?

The battery life in a SINAD device can vary depending on the type of battery used, the device's settings, and the frequency of use. Generally, a standard AA or AAA battery may last for several hours, while a lithium-ion battery may last for several days before needing to be recharged.

How do I replace the battery in a SINAD device?

The process for replacing the battery in a SINAD device may vary depending on the model. In most cases, the device will have a battery compartment that can be accessed by removing a cover or panel. Simply remove the old battery and replace it with a new one, making sure to follow any specific instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Can I use a different type of battery in a SINAD device?

It is recommended to use the type of battery specified by the manufacturer for your SINAD device. Using a different type of battery may result in incorrect readings or damage to the device. However, if the device allows for different battery types, make sure to use batteries with the same voltage and follow any instructions provided by the manufacturer.