Batteries in parallel with a diode

This setup can provide a backup power supply in case the 17V source fails, but it is recommended to also have a diode in series with the 17V supply to prevent the battery from discharging into it in case of a failure.
quantumlight
I was wondering what the effects are if any if I connect a 17V DC source in parallel with a 9 V battery but the 9 V battery has a diode that prevents current from flowing into it. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's OK. Did you want the 9V battery there to give a supply if the 17V fails?
You may also want a diode in series with the 17V supply to prevent the battery discharging back into it when it fails (in case there is a path to Earth inside the 17V supply).

quantumlight said:
I was wondering what the effects are if any if I connect a 17V DC source in parallel with a 9 V battery but the 9 V battery has a diode that prevents current from flowing into it. Thanks

no current will flow through the circuit as the voltage drop across the reverse biased diode and the 9V battery will be equal to 17V DC source

Related to Batteries in parallel with a diode

1. What is the purpose of connecting batteries in parallel with a diode?

The purpose of connecting batteries in parallel with a diode is to prevent backflow of current from one battery to another. This ensures that the batteries remain at the same voltage and do not discharge each other.

2. How does a diode prevent backflow of current in a parallel battery configuration?

A diode is an electronic component that only allows current to flow in one direction. When connected in parallel with a battery, the diode only allows current to flow from the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal, preventing backflow from other batteries.

3. Can I use any type of diode for connecting batteries in parallel?

No, it is important to use a Schottky diode or a low forward voltage drop diode for connecting batteries in parallel. These types of diodes have a lower voltage drop, which reduces energy losses and ensures that the batteries remain at the same voltage.

4. Will connecting batteries in parallel with a diode increase the overall voltage or current?

No, connecting batteries in parallel with a diode will not increase the overall voltage or current. The voltage and current will remain the same as that of a single battery.

5. Are there any disadvantages to connecting batteries in parallel with a diode?

One potential disadvantage is that the diode can cause a small voltage drop, which may slightly reduce the overall performance of the battery system. Additionally, if one battery in the parallel configuration fails, it can affect the other batteries and potentially cause a larger failure.