Batteries connected in Empty Circuit

In summary, three identical batteries with finite internal resistance are connected in series in a closed loop. If a voltmeter is connected in parallel across one of the cells with negligible resistance in the connecting wires, the measured terminal voltage will be equal to the voltage of the battery minus the voltage lost due to internal resistance. Adding more batteries to the circuit will not affect the measured terminal voltage. This is a theoretical exercise and not practical in real life.
TFM

Homework Statement

Three identical batteries, with finite internal resistance, are connected in series in a closed loop. (Positive Terminal of battery 1 to Negative Terminal of battery 2; Positive Terminal of battery 2 to Negative Terminal of battery 3; Positive Terminal of battery 3 to Negative Terminal of battery 1.) What reading will a voltmeter register if it is connected in parallel across one of the cells, and all the connecting wires have negligible resistance? What will happen to the voltmeter reading if the number of batteries is increased and the connection points of the voltmeter remain the same?

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rule:

[tex] \sum Voltage = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchoffs Rule,

[tex] \epsilon_{battery 1} + \epsilon_{battery 2} + \epsilon_{battery 3} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] I_1r_1 + I_2r_2 + I_3r_3 = 0 [/tex]

But since the batteries are all the same, the current flowing through them would surely be equal, thus meaning that the only way to satsify this current would be to have 0 current flow, and hence no voltage? And thus for the second part, adding more batteries wouldn't make any difference?

Is this the right explanation?

?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
TFM said:

Homework Statement

Three identical batteries, with finite internal resistance, are connected in series in a closed loop. (Positive Terminal of battery 1 to Negative Terminal of battery 2; Positive Terminal of battery 2 to Negative Terminal of battery 3; Positive Terminal of battery 3 to Negative Terminal of battery 1.) What reading will a voltmeter register if it is connected in parallel across one of the cells, and all the connecting wires have negligible resistance? What will happen to the voltmeter reading if the number of batteries is increased and the connection points of the voltmeter remain the same?

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rule:

That's correct. Notice that this is one single equation, relating the voltages of the circuit components in a single circuit loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchoffs Rule,

[tex] \epsilon_{battery 1} + \epsilon_{battery 2} + \epsilon_{battery 3} = 0 [/tex]

The problem here is that you have neglected the voltage drops due to the internal resistances ...

[tex] I_1r_1 + I_2r_2 + I_3r_3 = 0 [/tex]
... and here, the voltages of the cells have been left out.

Can you make ONE single equation from
as you go around the loop? If you haven't already, try drawing a circuit diagram including the cells and internal resistances.

But since the batteries are all the same, the current flowing through them would surely be equal ...

Correct. That helps simplify things, since there is just one current "I", and not different I1, I2, and I3.

So would the equation be:

[tex] \left( \epsilon_{B1} - Ir_{B1}\right) + \left( \epsilon_{B2} - Ir_{B2}\right) + \left( \epsilon_{B3} - Ir_{B3}\right) [/tex] = 0

But isn't everything the same, since they are identical batteries, thus:

[tex] 3 \left( \epsilon - Ir\right) [/tex] = 0

?

TFM

That looks right.

So the measured "terminal voltage" is ____ ?

Well rearrangeing the formula gives:

[tex] 3\epsilon = 3Ir [/tex]

so would the terminal voltage be [tex] \epsilon [/tex], which would be the voltage of the battery?

TFM

"Terminal voltage" is the voltage measured at the physical terminals, or
ε - I r

I see so the voltage measured is the voltage of the battery minus that lost by internal resistance.

Adding more batteries won't make any changes, also, since the voltage across thebattery is independent of any other batteries added.

Does this make sense?

TFM

Yes, that sounds right.

By the way, this strikes me as a rather odd question, since this is not something people would actually do in practice (unless by accident). But I guess as an academic exercise it serves its purpose.

Excellent.

Thanks for your assistance, Redbelly94ג:smile:

TFMגג

Related to Batteries connected in Empty Circuit

1. How do batteries connected in an empty circuit work?

Batteries connected in an empty circuit work by converting stored chemical energy into electrical energy. When connected in a circuit, the chemical reactions inside the battery produce a flow of electrons, creating an electrical current.

2. Can batteries connected in an empty circuit be charged?

Yes, batteries connected in an empty circuit can be charged. When connected to a charger, the flow of electrons is reversed, causing the chemical reactions to occur in the opposite direction and recharge the battery.

3. What happens if batteries connected in an empty circuit are of different voltages?

If batteries connected in an empty circuit are of different voltages, the battery with the higher voltage will discharge into the battery with the lower voltage until they reach the same voltage. This can cause the batteries to drain at different rates and could potentially damage the batteries.

4. How long will batteries connected in an empty circuit last?

The lifespan of batteries connected in an empty circuit will depend on the type and quality of the batteries, as well as the demand placed on them. Generally, batteries will last longer if they are not overused or drained completely.

5. Is it safe to leave batteries connected in an empty circuit?

It is generally safe to leave batteries connected in an empty circuit, but it is not recommended. Over time, batteries can discharge and potentially become damaged if left connected for extended periods without being used. It is best to disconnect batteries when not in use.