Basis and Components (Vectors)

In summary, the basis vectors are linearly independent and the components of ##a=2u_1-u_3## in terms of ##v_1,v_2,v_3## are ##u_1=-2v_1+v_2-v_3##, ##u_2=3v_1-v_2+2v_3##, and ##u_3=4v_1-2v_2+3v_3##.
RyanH42

Homework Statement

Let ##u_1,u_2,u_3## be a basis and let ##v_1=-u_1+u_2-u_3## , ## v_2=u_1+2u_2-u_3## , ##v_3=2u_1+u_3## show that ##v_1,v_2,v_3## is a basis and find the components of ##a=2u_1-u_3## in terms of ##v_1,v_2,v_3##

Homework Equations

For basis vecor we need to clarify these vector are lineerly independet.We can understand linearly independent as make a matrix 3x3 and see the take the det of matrx. If det of matrix is not zero means linearly independent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the determinant of ##v_1,v_2,v_3## and I found -1.It means linearly independent.It means they are basis vectors.Then I tried to show ##u_1=(1,0,0)## then I tried write it in terms of ##v## but I thought that there a lot way to do that or maybe wrong.

The answer is ##u_1=-2v_1+v_2-v_3## and ##u_2=3v_1-v_2+2v_3## and ##u_3=4v_1-2v_2+3v_3## and ##a=-8v_!+4v_2-5v_3##
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix you are looking the determinant of is:
[itex] \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & -1 \\ 2 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]
Which is -1.

Now you have to go the other way around. I mean you know how [itex]v[/itex]'s are given in terms of [itex]u[/itex]'s... you should actually go to the inverse relation and see how [itex]u[/itex]'s are written in terms of [itex]v[/itex]'s (so you can make the substitution in alpha)...

If you are lucky you can see what you have to do right away by a few tries of adding/substracting and multiplying with factors the [itex]v_i[/itex].

Try to find [itex]u_1[/itex] in terms of [itex]v_{1,2,3}[/itex].

(do you know about inverse matrices?)

Likes RyanH42
ChrisVer said:
(do you know about inverse matrices?)
Yeah,I know.

you can use the inverse matrix to get the [itex]u_i[/itex] in terms of [itex]v_j[/itex]:

[itex] \begin{bmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2 \\ v_3 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & -1 \\ 2 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} u_1 \\ u_2 \\ u_3 \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

To find ##M## here:

[itex] \begin{bmatrix} u_1 \\ u_2 \\ u_3 \end{bmatrix}= M \begin{bmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2 \\ v_3 \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

Likes RyanH42
You can try also your way [itex] u_1 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], [itex] u_2 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], [itex] u_3 = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 0 \\1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

That means you are taking a particular basis for [itex]u_i[/itex]. Then the [itex]v[/itex]'s are:

[itex] v_1 = \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], [itex] v_2 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], [itex] v_3 = \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

Now you would like to see how you can add [itex]v_1,v_2,v_3[/itex] in order to get [itex]u_1[/itex]. You can try that by solving the equation for [itex]a,b,c[/itex]:

[itex]u_1 = av_1+ bv_2 +cv_3 \Rightarrow \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\0 \end{pmatrix}= a \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \\-1 \end{pmatrix}+ b\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} +c \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
That's 3 equations with 3 unknown variables (a,b,c) so it's solvable:
[itex] \begin{align*} -a +b& +2c = 1 \\ a+2b&=0 \\ -a-b&+c =0 \end{align*} [/itex]

And similarily work for the rest [itex] u_2 \& u_3[/itex]. That will be in total 9 equations with 9 unknown parameters.

That's an alternative way of saying that you are taking the inverse matrix.. you just wrote for [itex]M= \begin{bmatrix} a & b & c \\ d & f & e \\ h & w & r \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and you go to determine its elements one by one.

Last edited:
Likes RyanH42
##1=-a+b+2c##
##0=a+2b##
##0=-a-b+c##
then #### ##a=-2b## then If I put this in third equation equation I found ##b=-c## .If I put these info on first equation I get ##1=2b+b-2b##, ##b=1## then ##a=-2## and ##c=-1## Which İt fits the answer.
I understand the matrix way and this way.Matrix way is look like simpler but Its hard to find inverse matrix of 3x3.I used online calculator and I found exact solution.
Thanks my friend.

Related to Basis and Components (Vectors)

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented graphically as an arrow, with the length representing the magnitude and the direction indicating the direction.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

While a vector represents both magnitude and direction, a scalar only represents magnitude. In other words, a scalar is a single numerical value, while a vector is a combination of magnitude and direction.

What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the parts that make up the vector in terms of its direction and magnitude. These components are typically represented as x and y values in a 2-dimensional coordinate system, or x, y, and z values in a 3-dimensional coordinate system.

How do you add two vectors together?

To add two vectors together, you must add their corresponding components. For example, if you have two 2-dimensional vectors with components (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), their sum would be (x1 + x2, y1 + y2).

What is the significance of the basis of a vector space?

The basis of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. This means that any vector in the space can be represented as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The basis is important because it allows us to represent complex vectors in a simpler and more organized way.