Basic Velocity -> Speed -> Position of particle

In summary, the particle's position at t=0 seconds is (0,0) and its speed is 0 m/s. At t=4 seconds, its position is (-17 1/15, -10 2/3) and its speed is -10 2/3 m/s. To find the particle's direction of motion, the equations for x and y can be used to create triangles and determine the angle in relation to the x-axis.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

A particle's trajectory is described by x=((1/2)*(t^3)-2t^2)m and y=((1/2)*(t^2)-2t)m, where t is in s.

a) What are the particle's position and speed at t=0s and t=4s?

b) What is the particle's direction of motion, measured as an angle from the x-axis, at t=0s and t=4s?

Homework Equations

Listed above

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I am over-thinking the problem. As I understand it the equations provided are velocities in the directions of the x and y axies. So, the integral of the equation for 'x' would give me the speed. Integrating it a second time would give me position. I can work through the integrals but something doesn't feel right about the relationship between the work I'm doing and the material in the chapter.

integral of x = 1/8 t^4 - 2/3 t^3 and second integral of x = t^5/40 - t^4/6

integral of y = 1/6 t^3 - t^2 and second integral of y = t^4/24 - t^3/3

Plugging in the values of 0 and 4:

The position at 0 seconds = (0,0)
The speed at 0 seconds = 0 m/s

The position at 4 seconds = (-17 1/15, -10 2/3)
The speed at 4 seconds = -10 2/3 m/s

The second part I can simply use the triangles created to find the angle in relation to x.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, the integral of the equation for 'x' would give me the speed. Integrating it a second time would give me position.
Workin' in the wrong direction (differentiate, not integrate). dx/dt = v, dv/dt = a

Bah, of course. Thank you!

Related to Basic Velocity -> Speed -> Position of particle

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, including its direction. On the other hand, speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, without considering its direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (Δx) by the change in time (Δt). This is represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt. The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

3. Is velocity the same as acceleration?

No, velocity and acceleration are two different quantities. While velocity describes the rate of change of an object's position, acceleration describes the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over time. It is a vector quantity with units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How does velocity affect the position of a particle?

Velocity directly affects the position of a particle. The higher the velocity of a particle, the faster it will change its position with respect to time. If a particle has a constant velocity, its position will change at a constant rate. However, if the velocity changes, the position will also change at a different rate.

5. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if a particle is moving to the left with a velocity of -5 m/s, this means that it is moving at a speed of 5 m/s in the negative x direction.