Basic Real Analysis: Are Open Intervals Always Roomy?

In summary, the problem deals with the definition of "roomy" sets, which are subsets of the real numbers where for every element, there exists a positive distance such that an open interval centered around the element is also contained in the set. The first part asks for a proof that an open interval is roomy, while the second part asks for a proof or disproof that the union of two roomy sets is also roomy. The attempt at a solution considers the consequences of the definition, such as closed intervals not being roomy and the empty set being roomy, and presents a proof for part b using the definition of roomy sets. However, the proof incorrectly assumes that the only relevant sets are open intervals, when there are
dark904

Homework Statement

This problem starts with a definition,
A set S [itex]\subseteq[/itex] R is said to be roomy if for every x [itex]\in[/itex] S, there is a positive distance y > 0 such that the open interval (x - y, x + y) is also contained in S.

Problems based on this definition:
a) Let a < b. Prove that the open interval (a , b) is roomy.
b) Suppose that A and B are roomy sets. Prove or disprove: A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is a roomy set.

2. The attempt at a solution

There are a couple of immediate consequences of this definition that I can think of. The most important ones are that closed intervals cannot be roomy and that the empty set is roomy (since this would make the first part of the implication false).

a) This part seems obvious but I can't figure out how to lay this out as an actual rigorous proof. It's apparent to me that since we are in R and (a,b) is open, there will always be some number between the ends of the interval and x. How do I say this concisely and does it require a subproof?

b) I can't think of a counterexample so I'm inclined to say that this is true.

Here is my attempt at a proof:
Since A and B are both roomy sets, they must both be open intervals, as a closed interval would contradict the definition of roominess. Since A and B are open intervals, A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is either the empty set or also an open interval. If A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is the empty set, then it is roomy and if it is an open interval then it is also roomy, therefore A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is roomy.

Physics news on Phys.org
dark904 said:

Homework Statement

This problem starts with a definition,
A set S [itex]\subseteq[/itex] R is said to be roomy if for every x [itex]\in[/itex] S, there is a positive distance y > 0 such that the open interval (x - y, x + y) is also contained in S.

Problems based on this definition:
a) Let a < b. Prove that the open interval (a , b) is roomy.
b) Suppose that A and B are roomy sets. Prove or disprove: A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is a roomy set.

2. The attempt at a solution

There are a couple of immediate consequences of this definition that I can think of. The most important ones are that closed intervals cannot be roomy and that the empty set is roomy (since this would make the first part of the implication false).

a) This part seems obvious but I can't figure out how to lay this out as an actual rigorous proof. It's apparent to me that since we are in R and (a,b) is open, there will always be some number between the ends of the interval and x. How do I say this concisely and does it require a subproof?

b) I can't think of a counterexample so I'm inclined to say that this is true.

Here is my attempt at a proof:
Since A and B are both roomy sets, they must both be open intervals, as a closed interval would contradict the definition of roominess. Since A and B are open intervals, A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is either the empty set or also an open interval. If A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is the empty set, then it is roomy and if it is an open interval then it is also roomy, therefore A [itex]\cup[/itex] B is roomy.

For a) pick an x in (a,b) and tell how to define the corresponding y. That would be a proof. For b) you seem to think the only subsets of R are open and closed intervals. Give some examples that aren't and then rethink the proof. The union of two intervals isn't necessarily an open interval!

Hi Dick, thanks for the speedy response.

For part b, I understand that there are subsets of R that aren't intervals, however by the problem's definition of "roominess," the only subsets of R which are roomy are open intervals, as it is impossible for a y > 0 such that (x -y , x + y) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] S to exist in a set with a closed end or in a singleton set or in a set consisting of a finite collection of reals, so the only sets relevant to the proof are open intervals because the problem states that A and B are roomy.

dark904 said:
Hi Dick, thanks for the speedy response.

For part b, I understand that there are subsets of R that aren't intervals, however by the problem's definition of "roominess," the only subsets of R which are roomy are open intervals, as it is impossible for a y > 0 such that (x -y , x + y) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] S to exist in a set with a closed end or in a singleton set or in a set consisting of a finite collection of reals, so the only sets relevant to the proof are open intervals because the problem states that A and B are roomy.

Hi dark904. The set (0,1)U(2,3) is roomy. It's NOT an open interval. Don't try to claim that in your proof. Use the definition of 'roomy' in your proof. Don't try to claim everything is some kind of interval.

Last edited:

Related to Basic Real Analysis: Are Open Intervals Always Roomy?

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves understanding the behavior of functions, sequences, and series of real numbers.

2. What are the basic principles of Real Analysis?

The basic principles of Real Analysis include the completeness of the real numbers, the concept of limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

3. What is the difference between Real Analysis and Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. Real Analysis is a more advanced and rigorous approach to Calculus, focusing on the properties and structure of real numbers and their functions.

4. What are the main applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many applications in diverse fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving optimization, approximation, and modeling of real-life phenomena.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Real Analysis?

To improve your understanding of Real Analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical proof techniques. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and reading advanced texts in the subject.