[Basic question] What are negative numbers?

In summary, negative numbers are an abstract concept derived from subtraction and do not necessarily have a physical significance. However, they can be used to represent quantities that are in the opposite direction on a number line, such as negative temperatures. While all mathematics has physical applications, mathematics itself is not physics and does not require a physical explanation for its operations.
marxLynx
What are negative numbers? Have you even seen a negative number of chickens? i haven't. The idea is merely an abstraction of subtraction. An abstract idea doesn't have to have any physical significance at all, even if the idea was derived from physical things.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

marxLynx said:
What are negative numbers? Have you even seen a negative number of chickens?

Sure I have, if I owe a person 3 chickens, then I have -3 chickens. I'm happy with that physical significance.

And I am happy knowing that negative means down and positive means up. Or maybe the reverse if convenient :)

marxLynx said:
What are negative numbers? Have you even seen a negative number of chickens? i haven't. The idea is merely an abstraction of subtraction. An abstract idea doesn't have to have any physical significance at all, even if the idea was derived from physical things.
Not only for this as it was answered, I suspect all math has a physical significance.

After all, not only it has physical significance in basics, but the most complex concepts of physics such as quantum mechanics can only be 'thought' through math. For example most physicists admit that they don't understand the uncertainty principle, they just "read it" in formulas. [edit: Meaning not that it's 'abstract' in itself but that they are so convinced everything up to that point had a physical meaning that even something that goes further and they can't see the physical part, it should have a physical representation.]

As I said in your other thread, all mathematics has any different physical applications. Mathematics is NOT physics and there does not exist a single "physical explanation" for any mathematical operation.

They are numbers counted or measured in the opposite direction. Usually a reference number can be matched to a reference point on a number line. A simple physical interpretation works for temperature. One of the temperature scales, Celsius, uses the freezing/melting point of water as zero degrees. We can often find or measure a temperature of some positive amount, and if we do, this is usually of a temperature at which water is not a solid (not frozen). We naturally assume these are positive values, to the right of zero on the number line. A NEGATIVE Celsius temperature value is one at which water is typically in the form of ice, and the number is to the left of zero on the number line, and the number is given a negative sign next to it.
Example: -5 degrees Celsius is colder than the freezing point o f water and this water would be ice. 4 degrees Celsius is cold, but water at this temperature will be liquid.

Related to [Basic question] What are negative numbers?

What are negative numbers?

Negative numbers are numbers that are less than zero. They are represented by a minus sign (-) in front of the number. Examples of negative numbers include -5, -17, and -0.5.

Why do we have negative numbers?

Negative numbers were created to represent values that are less than zero. They are used in various mathematical operations, such as subtraction and in representing debts or temperature below zero.

How do you add and subtract negative numbers?

To add negative numbers, simply add the numbers just like you would with positive numbers, but keep the minus sign in the answer. For example, -3 + (-5) = -8. To subtract negative numbers, change the subtraction sign to addition and change the sign of the second number. For example, -7 - (-3) = -7 + 3 = -4.

What is the difference between a negative number and a positive number?

The main difference between a negative number and a positive number is their position on the number line. Negative numbers are represented on the left side of zero, while positive numbers are represented on the right side of zero. Negative numbers are also less than zero, whereas positive numbers are greater than zero.

Can you multiply and divide negative numbers?

Yes, you can multiply and divide negative numbers just like you would with positive numbers. When multiplying two negative numbers, the result is always a positive number. For example, -2 x -3 = 6. When dividing a negative number by a positive number, the result is always a negative number. For example, -10 ÷ 2 = -5.