Basic Quantum Physics - Particle(s) in a (3D) Box

In summary: The prefactor on the energy expression in Post #1 corresponds to the number of neutrons in the system (20 in this case).
wavingerwin

Homework Statement

A system of 20 neutrons are confined in the region

[tex]0<x<3L[/tex]
[tex]0<y<L[/tex]
[tex]0<z<2L[/tex]

With [tex]L=10^{-15}m[/tex]

If each eigenstate can accept 2 neutrons (corresponding to the 2 possible spin states) what is the total kinetic energy of the system?

Homework Equations

I found the total energy to be
[tex]E = \frac{\pi^{2}\overline{h}^{2}}{2mL^{2}}\left(\frac{(n_{1})^{2}}{9}+(n_{2})^{2}+\frac{(n_{3})^{2}}{4}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I do not really understand what the question is asking.
But my current idea is to do trial and error for a combination of ns that gives the same energy and multiply it by 20.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In "relevant equations", the energy expression you have ain't for the total energy, but rather for the energy one particle, given its n1, n2, n3 state.

What do you know about the Pauli exclusion principle?

Hi bjnartowt,

I honestly don't know about the principle.
By the sound of it and after looking quickly at wikipedia, my understanding is that in this case, no three or more neutrons can have the same combination of ns (since each eigenstate can accept 2 neutrons).

So I'm guessing that the question is asking for the sum of the lowest 10 energies i.e. at (n1,n2,n3 = 1,1,1
n1,n2,n3 = 2,1,1
n1,n2,n3 = 1,1,2
n1,n2,n3 = 3,1,1 and so on)
and multiply it by 2?

v_bachtiar said:
Hi bjnartowt,

I honestly don't know about the principle.
By the sound of it and after looking quickly at wikipedia, my understanding is that in this case, no three or more neutrons can have the same combination of ns (since each eigenstate can accept 2 neutrons).

So I'm guessing that the question is asking for the sum of the lowest 10 energies i.e. at (n1,n2,n3 = 1,1,1
n1,n2,n3 = 2,1,1
n1,n2,n3 = 1,1,2
n1,n2,n3 = 3,1,1 and so on)
and multiply it by 2?

Are you saying that only three neutrons are allowed to have the same permutation of "n"-values?

I'm saying that only two neutrons can have the same permutation (combination) of n-values.

v_bachtiar said:
I'm saying that only two neutrons can have the same permutation (combination) of n-values.

Excellent: then you understand Pauli exclusion.

Perhaps the path to the answer is a little clearer?

I do not know which permutations of n-values to choose though.

My guess is that the question is asking for the sum of the lowest 10 energies, so choose 10 permutations of n-values giving the lowest energies and sum them up. Then times this sum by 2 since each energy is occupied by 2 neutrons.

Would this be right?

You know what, I don't know which permutations of n-values to choose through either...unless someone told me "Hey, this box of 20 neutrons is at absolute-zero temperature". Then, I *think* you'd start from two neutrons in 001, two in 010, two in 100, two in 002, two in 012, etc. which I think is obeying Pauli-exclusion.

I think that in general, if your temperature was "T", you'd use the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

So yeah...I think I'm steering us in the right direction, but I flub little details. I hope someone else posts too.

bjnartowt brings up a good point, that if the system is at a nonzero temperature, some of the neutrons could be excited into higher energy levels. If this is for a statistical mechanics class, then that might be the intent of the problem. But if it's just a regular quantum mechanics class, I would guess that you're supposed to assume the system is in its ground state.

By the way, be careful to actually figure out which energy levels are the lowest ones. Don't just assume that 001, 010, 100, etc. are in order of increasing energy.

diazona said:
bjnartowt brings up a good point, that if the system is at a nonzero temperature, some of the neutrons could be excited into higher energy levels. If this is for a statistical mechanics class, then that might be the intent of the problem. But if it's just a regular quantum mechanics class, I would guess that you're supposed to assume the system is in its ground state.

It is a regular class.

diazona said:
By the way, be careful to actually figure out which energy levels are the lowest ones. Don't just assume that 001, 010, 100, etc. are in order of increasing energy.

Yep, I'm fully aware of that.

And I think n starts at 1 (111) since if one of them is 0, the wavefunction will also be equal to zero which is not true.

Thanks for the help!:smile:

v_bachtiar said:
And I think n starts at 1 (111) since if one of them is 0, the wavefunction will also be equal to zero which is not true.
Oops, sorry :blushing: You're right, I wasn't paying attention.

v_bachtiar said:
I do not know which permutations of n-values to choose though.

My guess is that the question is asking for the sum of the lowest 10 energies, so choose 10 permutations of n-values giving the lowest energies and sum them up. Then times this sum by 2 since each energy is occupied by 2 neutrons.

Would this be right?
Yes.

BTW, the prefactor on the energy expression in Post #1 corresponds to a temperature ~1012 K, so we can safely assume the system is in the lowest allowed state:

Last edited:

Related to Basic Quantum Physics - Particle(s) in a (3D) Box

1. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a theoretical model used in basic quantum physics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a three-dimensional box. The particle is assumed to have zero potential energy outside the box and infinite potential energy inside the box, creating a finite region in which the particle can exist.

2. What are the main principles of particle in a box?

The main principles of particle in a box are the concept of quantization, where the energy of the particle is restricted to certain discrete values due to the finite size of the box, and the wave-particle duality, where the particle is described by a wave function that represents its probability of existence at different positions within the box.

3. How does the size of the box affect the behavior of the particle?

The size of the box directly affects the behavior of the particle in a box. As the size of the box decreases, the energy levels of the particle become more closely spaced and the probability of finding the particle in certain regions increases. Conversely, as the size of the box increases, the energy levels become more spread out and the probability of finding the particle in specific regions decreases.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in particle in a box?

The energy levels in particle in a box represent the allowed energy states that the particle can occupy within the box. These levels are quantized, meaning that the particle can only exist at certain discrete energy values. The energy levels also determine the probability of finding the particle in different regions within the box.

5. How is particle in a box related to real-world systems?

Particle in a box is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of particles in quantum physics. While real-world systems may not have exact boundaries like a box, the principles of quantization and wave-particle duality still apply and can be used to explain the behavior of particles in these systems. Additionally, particle in a box can be used to predict and understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, which have boundaries that are not as well-defined as a physical box.