Basic physics logic help - kinematic equations and forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a small object being dropped from the top of a tall structure. The equations of kinematic motion and forces are mentioned, and the use of acceleration due to gravity is given as a "given" value. The initial velocity and time to hit the ground are calculated using the equations provided. The conversation also touches on the logic and understanding of the problem, with the individual mentioning their dyslexia and difficulty in comprehending the question at times.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A small object, of mass 0.02Kg is at the top of a tall structure 160m high, it is dropped from rest.

Ignoring air resistance..

1. Find the speed of the object as it hits the ground
2. find the time taken

Homework Equations

So far we have learned the equations of kinematic motion

v=u+at
s=1/2(u+v)t
2s=(2u+at)t
v^2=u^2+2as

and forces such as

F=ma
Ns=mv-mu

The Attempt at a Solution

I get and can do the math(I think) on this particular question I am a bit puzzled as to some of the phrases and what the variables would be and then what equations and resolving thereof to use.

The obvious ones are "s=160" "u=0" and "m=0.02". I am assuming that part 1 is asking for the final velocity (v) but can't figure out where to start.

If the acceleration was known then I could work out what the final velocity was, however how can I find the acceleration from just that?

Part 2 would be easy if I knew what either the acceleration or final velocity are.

Any help appreciated...I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong or something stupid like making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the tall structure is on planet Earth, then a = 9.81m/s2 (pointing downward). You do not need to determine this, it is a "given".

What did Galileo discover about things free-falling under gravity?

Thanks Lewando + ibix

I can't believe how I stupid I was, of course it is. Please forgive my ignorance I have not had any education outside of british GCSE system which was 7 years ago and have just been thrusted into a A-Level equivalent physics class and its going at a very fast pace.

Our tutur has given g to be 9.8 for this class, so on that basis... "u" could be found as below(if i am correct)

v^2=u^2+2as
v^2=0+(2x9.8x160)
v^2=3136
√3136=56

so part 1 is 56m/s ?

Last edited:
Repair your units and you will be correct.

Part 2 would be the following then (if I am correct)

2s=(2u+at)t
320=(0+9.8xt)t
t^2=320/9.8
t^2=32.65
√32.65=5.71

t=5.71s?

lewando said:
Repair your units and you will be correct.

Thanks, I think I am getting the hang of it.

The math/algebra is not as hard as the logic bits for me. I am a little dyslexic so sometimes I can read and re-read the question time and time again and not get what its actually asking of me.

FaraDazed said:
Part 2 would be the following then (if I am correct)

2s=(2u+at)t
320=(0+9.8xt)t
t^2=320/9.8
t^2=32.65
√32.65=5.71

t=5.71s?

Yes. Or since you already determined v, you could use v=u+at. With u being 0, its a faster way.

Related to Basic physics logic help - kinematic equations and forces

What are the kinematic equations and how are they used in basic physics?

The kinematic equations are a set of four equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are used to solve problems involving objects in motion, such as calculating the distance traveled, final velocity, or acceleration of an object.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final position of an object. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

How are forces related to motion according to Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's laws of motion, an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass (F=ma). Additionally, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and remains constant regardless of location, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity and can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).

How do you determine the net force acting on an object?

The net force acting on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, they are subtracted. The net force can be calculated using Newton's second law: Fnet=ma.