Basic Misconception tension in rope and vectors

In summary, the individual is trying to understand forces in climbing anchors and is stuck on a problem involving a mass-less rope and no friction. They have provided diagrams and equations for the problem and have attempted a solution, but have come to the conclusion that they have a fundamental misconception about tension force. After a conversation with another individual, they realize that the tension force in the rope is an action-reaction pair and the spring balance will read 98n as it is part of the rope system. They thank the other individual for their help.
rockclimber

Homework Statement

I am trying to learn enough physics to understand forces in climbing anchors and am stuck with an exercise problem that I am unable to understand my misconception.
Mass-less rope, no friction.

diagrams
https://docs.google.com/drawings/pub?id=1ji6WWzHGx_GwYkb6vneJJCiyjGd8fUAREIR_6HLZbAE&w=960&h=720

Homework Equations

The problem question is diagram D
SB is a spring balance
T1 = 98n, correct
T3 = 98n, correct
SB = 196n, wrong, ( 98n is the correct answer )

The Attempt at a Solution

Isolating each side as in diagram B
T1 = 98n = TB1 = TB2
TB1 force is to the left, TB2 force is to the left so they will not be added together
( from a experimental view I could hold the force exerted 98n )

Putting them back together again as in diagram C
T1 = 98n = T3
TC1 = T1 = 98n
TC2 = T3 = 98n
TC1 + TC2 = 196n
TC1 force is to the left, TC2 force is to the right, so they add together
( from a experimental view I would not attempt the experiment, could be painful )

The tension force in the rope has to be equal in Diagram A
T1 = T2 = T3
but T1 and T3 are downward forces that have to be transmitted somewhere and the only place is T2 so what is T2 ?
T2 = T1 + T3 = 2x98n = 196n
as T1 = T2 = T3 , ( T1 = 98n, T2 = 98n, T3 = 196n, therefore the tension will balance to 392n / 3 = 130n )

Hopefully you can see I have tried to understand but have come to the conclusion that I have a fundamental misconception as regards tension force, could it be something similar to the common mass and weight misconception. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hey
what is the question asking for

Why is the spring balance 98n and not 2 x 98n

ok rockclimber
I have a question for you
suppose a a spring balance is hung on a wall with the help of a string
and mass m hanging down with the help of a string
what will spring balance show ? reading

Hi Kushan

98n
or .98 x mass

as isolated in diagram B

I am sure that right :smile:

So you got the answer ?

Sorry no

the question is two masses are connected as diagram D

just because the two masses are connected that does not make the force of one of the masses disappear or does it ?

We have two downward forces

Ok, I will try again

One mass hanging has to have a force of 98n, the rope always transmits its tension evenly, therefore it is of no consequence how it is terminated, either by a wall or ( in diagram D ) another mass hanging in opposition .

So one of the forces generated by the mass does not disappear, it is opposed by the other force.

Do you find any similarity in this figure and you rquestion ?

in terms of tension aboce the spring and below the spring?

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 440
Yes, the similarity is that the spring is just in a different position,
so the spring will read the same no matter where it is in the system.
Ta = Tb

Is therefore tension force at any point in the rope a pair ( action and reaction ) ( I looked this up ! )
To find the tension in the rope it is either the action force or reaction force of the entire system.

Is the answer to the original question what is the tension, its the reaction force 98n
The spring balance will read 98n because it part of the rope system

Should I be looking more closely at the direction of the arrows in your diagram ?

Thanks

Yea and your welcome :)

Hi Kushan
Many thanks for the help
Wow this is a really friendly place
Cheers
Phil

Related to Basic Misconception tension in rope and vectors

1. What is "Basic Misconception tension" in rope and vectors?

"Basic Misconception tension" refers to a common misunderstanding about the nature of tension in ropes and vectors. It is a misconception that the tension in a rope is always equal to the weight of the object being supported by the rope, when in reality, tension is a force that is applied in opposite directions at both ends of the rope.

2. Why is it important to understand tension in ropes and vectors?

Understanding tension in ropes and vectors is important because it is a key concept in physics and engineering. It is crucial for accurately calculating forces and designing structures that can withstand different types of loads. Additionally, understanding tension can also help prevent accidents and injuries when working with ropes and other tension-based systems.

3. How does tension affect the stability of an object?

Tension plays a significant role in the stability of an object. If an object is suspended by a rope, the tension in the rope helps to keep the object in equilibrium by counteracting the force of gravity. However, if the tension is too low, the object may fall, and if it is too high, the object may break or be pulled out of position. Therefore, understanding and managing tension is crucial for maintaining the stability of an object.

4. What factors can affect tension in a rope or vector?

Several factors can affect the tension in a rope or vector, including the weight of the object, the angle at which the rope is pulled, the material and thickness of the rope, and any external forces acting on the rope. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the forces applied to the rope or vector can also impact the tension.

5. How can we accurately calculate tension in a rope or vector?

To accurately calculate tension in a rope or vector, we need to consider all the factors that affect tension, such as the weight of the object, the angle of the rope, and any external forces. We can then use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and vector analysis to calculate the magnitude and direction of the tension. Additionally, we can also use specialized equipment, such as tension meters, to measure tension in real-world situations.