Basic method of finding geographic centre of a small country

• Thread starter martine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the speaker is trying to determine a geographical center of a small country to hide a treasure for a game with friends. They plan to use Google Earth and exclude offshore territory and islands. They are looking for the best method to find the center and consider using the centroid or extreme points method. They also mention using creative ideas and provide a link and mention the centroid method.
martine
Hello,

for a game with friends I'm trying to determine a plausible geographical centre of a small country where I will hide a treasure. My friends will need to recreate the steps I took, finding the instructions by means of a puzzle and finally receive a set of GPS coordinates, go there, find the treasure, have a barbecue there.

How would you do that? I know there's no fixed method of determining the centre of a country. So I thought I'd use google Earth as it gives me useful coordinates and as it's accessible for everyone. To simplify it even more I'll exclude all offshore territory and all islands.

But what method is the best to use?
printing the map, cutting out, gluing to cardboard and finding the balancing point doesn't give me any coordinates.

Drawing many, many lines through the country is not an option as it cannot be redone by others and they might end up with different coordinates.

As the country is roughly rectangular it should be possible to draw a box, trapeze, multiangular shape around some fixed points. And then? Draw lines from the corners will give one very rough possible result, not taking any coastline variations into account. Should I work with triangles and centroids? They might give me different results, depending on how I place the triangles but with good instructions it should be possible to redo this.

Btw: GE does go to a place near the centre when I type in the name, but as the place is not georeferenced and as I don't know how google came to that result I don't want to use that result. Besides, where's the game in that?

Looking for any creative ideas :)

martine

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is something to consider:

http://www.geomidpoint.com/

And there are methods, not necessarily universally agreed upon, to do this.
You can look up the centroid method in wikipedia.

Another method is to take the four extreme points: Northern most, Eastern most, Western most, and Southern most. Calculate the longitude of the midpoint East/West line and the latitude of the midpoint of the North/South line. The lat and long you get are a midpoint.

Last edited:

Related to Basic method of finding geographic centre of a small country

1. What is the basic method for finding the geographic centre of a small country?

The basic method for finding the geographic centre of a small country is to use the centroid method, which involves identifying the coordinates of the country's boundary points and calculating the average latitude and longitude. This point is considered to be the geographic centre of the country.

2. How accurate is the centroid method in determining the geographic centre of a small country?

The accuracy of the centroid method depends on the shape and size of the country. For small and relatively symmetrical countries, the centroid method can provide a fairly accurate estimation of the geographic centre. However, for larger and irregularly shaped countries, it may not accurately represent the true geographic centre.

3. Are there any other methods for finding the geographic centre of a small country?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the geographic centre of a small country, such as the geometric median method and the weighted centroid method. These methods take into account factors such as population distribution and land area, and may provide a more accurate determination of the geographic centre.

4. How is the geographic centre of a small country used?

The geographic centre of a small country is often used for symbolic or administrative purposes, such as locating the capital city or determining the location of national landmarks. It may also be used in geographic studies or for calculating distances between different regions within the country.

5. Can the geographic centre of a small country change over time?

Yes, the geographic centre of a small country can change over time due to natural or human-induced factors. Changes in population distribution, land use, or the country's borders can all affect the location of the geographic centre. Therefore, it is important to regularly update the calculation of the geographic centre to ensure accuracy.