Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving Riemann sums and integrals, with the given constants N=10000, m=28.02, T=300, and k=1.38*10^(-23). The poster has encountered a typo in the problem and is having trouble with the computation, receiving an error on their calculator when substituting v=20. They are advised to always include units when working with variables and constants.
McAfee

Homework Statement

bGpOGuQ.png

Homework Equations

LFJpCid.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I DO NOT NEED HELP WRITING THE PROGRAM! I'm just trying to figure out the basics behind it. Since this is an integral I will be solving this problem by using riemann sums. Where I'm having the most trouble is in the actually computation.

These are my constants:
N=100000
m=28.02
T=300
k=1.38*10^(-23)

For example I can look at the first case, v=0 and realize that I will get a result of 0.

Now when a substitute in v=20 and try to solve, my calculator gets an error that says INF.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I found a typo. The problem states N = 10000 (N = 10^4). Your post indicates N = 100000 (10^5).

Second, always indicate the units for the various variables and constants you are using. It saves a lot of time and confusion.

What SteamKing said. You're clearly using the wrong units for the mass. ALWAYS write down the units. they are not optional.

Related to Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function

1. What is the Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function?

The Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function is a mathematical formula used to describe the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is named after physicist James Clerk Maxwell and is an important concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

2. How is the Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function derived?

The Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function is derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of speeds of particles in an ideal gas. It takes into account the fact that particles in a gas can have speeds in all directions, not just in the direction of motion.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function?

The Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function assumes that the gas is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the temperature is constant throughout the gas. It also assumes that the gas particles are non-interacting, meaning that they do not interact with each other except through collisions.

4. How is the Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function used in real-world applications?

The Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of gas dynamics, plasma physics, and atmospheric science. It is also used in the design and analysis of gas-related technologies, such as combustion engines and gas turbines.

5. What is the significance of the Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function?

The Basic Maxwell Speed Distribution Function is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of gases at different temperatures. It also allows scientists and engineers to make predictions and calculations related to gas properties and behaviors, which is essential in many fields of study and technology.