Basic electronics book for 14 year old?

In summary, Jason is looking for a basic book on electronics to give to his 14-year-old nephew who is homeschooled and has not been exposed to electronics. He wants a book that covers resistors, capacitors, and basic logic circuits, and preferably does not require advanced math knowledge. Some suggestions from other users include "Make Electronics: Learning by Discovery" and "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest Mims, as well as a Raspberry PI kit or Arduino kit for hands-on experience.
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My nephew has a birthday coming up - I want to get him one of those "200 electronics project" kits, but typically they include no real description of why the circuits work (at least the one I had as a kid didn't). So I want to get him a basic book as well. He is 14, is home schooled (by non-scientific parents ...) so I don't think he gets exposed much to stuff like this. Does anyone have any ideas for a basic book that describes resistors, capacitors, maybe op amps or basic logic circuits? Algebra is the highest math we can assume I think.

Thanks!

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks very promising. I see that it is at my local bookstore, so will check it out this week. Thanks!

jason

Thanks - I will take a closer look at the first one; the second looks a little advanced but I would likely enjoy it!

jason

art of electronics by horowitz and hill is excellent

I am familiar with Horowitz and Hill, and think that it is too advanced for what I am looking for. Granted I do not see my nephew that often. I think Art of Electronics would be great in a few years if he is actually interested in electronics. I would like to get a copy for myself someday, too.

At this point the top contenders are "make: electronics", and Forest Mim's book "getting started in electronics." I looked online and saw that Radio Shack carries them both, and stopped by a store today that actually had them on the shelf. The main problem with Mim's book is the handwritten nature and old-school feel may make it hard to convince a modern day teenager to give it a fair shot.

I think I will skip the spring-loaded kit thing altogether, and simply place a Mouser order for a breadboard and the components to go along with whatever book I get. The kits are either very expensive for the nicer ones that have breadboards in them or look much too juvenile. Also, the prices on parts from a regular seller like Mouser are waaaay less than radio shack.

I must say that it is embarrassing that I am not familiar with these kinds of books - all my degrees were in EE! However, I didn't actually learn anything about circuits until sophomore year. It was electromagnetics, not circuits, that got me into EE.

Jason

You should also consider a Raspberyy PI kit from adafruit.com for $100 or so. You can then mix programming in Python with controlling external hardware. Alternatively, you could also do that with an Arduino kit as well. The PI's advantage is access to Linux and hardware. The Arduino's is greater IO capability.

There's also a nice book to go along with the PI that covers its features and has a section for controlling hw:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1840785810/?tag=pfamazon01-20

We did a project with HS students using a PI, a microphone and some sensors (PIR...) to do a security system and they had a lot of fun at it.

Related to Basic electronics book for 14 year old?

1. What topics are covered in a basic electronics book for 14 year olds?

A basic electronics book for 14 year olds typically covers topics such as circuits, resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and basic electronic components. It may also include hands-on projects and experiments to help readers understand these concepts.

2. Is it suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of electronics?

Yes, a basic electronics book for 14 year olds is designed for beginners with no prior knowledge of electronics. It starts with the fundamentals and gradually progresses to more complex concepts, making it accessible for young readers.

3. Are the instructions and explanations easy to understand?

Most basic electronics books for 14 year olds are written in a clear and concise manner, with simple language and step-by-step instructions. They are designed to be easily understood by young readers with no prior knowledge of electronics.

4. Are there any recommended materials or tools needed for the projects and experiments?

Some basic electronics books for 14 year olds may suggest specific materials or tools for the projects and experiments included in the book. However, most of these materials can be easily found at home or purchased at a local electronics store.

5. Can this book be used as a teaching tool for a classroom setting?

Yes, a basic electronics book for 14 year olds can be used as a teaching tool for a classroom setting. It provides a comprehensive introduction to electronics and includes hands-on projects and experiments that can engage students and make learning fun and interactive.