Basic Calculus II Integral Questions - Riemann Sums, Absolute Integrals, etc.

In summary: C$.For the second question, splitting the integral into two parts is correct, but the limits should be from 3 to 1, and from 1 to -2. This will give a final answer of $\displaystyle \frac{20}{3}$.For the third question, using a trigonometric identity for u-substitution is correct, and the final answer is $\displaystyle \frac{\pi^2}{72}$.For the fourth problem, the displacement and speed
ardentmed
Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help for this problem set I'm working on currently

2014_07_14_369_be38da7c84555c6e2b50_1.jpg

The u-substitution for the first one is somewhat tricky. I ended up getting 1/40(u)^5/2 - 2 (u) ^3/2 +C, which I'm not too sure about. I took u from radical 3+2x^4.

For the second question, I split the integral into two parts, one from 3 to 1, and the other from 1 to -2, and used a negative value for the latter, since x < 1 is negative. This gave me 20/3 as a final answer.

Moreover, for the third question, I used a trigonometric identity u substitution and got \pi^2 / 72.

For the last question (the word problem), I got -3.33m for displacement and took the absolute for velocity to get speed, which gave me 218/3 as the final answer.

Also, for these questions:
2014_07_14_369_be38da7c84555c6e2b50_2.jpg

I'm confused as to how these work. For instance, I'm assuming that the FTC must be used, where the formula used would be f(b)-f(a), correct?
If so, I got 4x^3 radical(2-x^4) -2 for the first one. The second one is 3x^2 (sin(x^3)) + sincosx * cosx.

Also for the last two, I got 3/5x^5/4 -2x + 3x^1/3 +c from multiplying the values in the bracket by themselves (expansion). Also, I got 2 for the final one, since sinx > 0 is positive, and sinx < 0 is negative, although I'm not too sure about that. Thanks in advance, guys. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one you can do:

$u=x^4$
$du=4x^3dx$
$dx=\frac{1}{4x^3}du$

$\int \ x^7 \sqrt{3+2u}*\frac{1}{4x^3}du$
$\int \ \frac{x^4 \sqrt{3+2u}}{4}du$
$\int \ \frac{u \sqrt{3+2u}}{4}du$
$\frac{1}{4} \int \ u \sqrt{3+2u}du$

$v=3+2u$
$dv=2du$
$du=\frac{1}{2}dv$

set the whole thing in terms of v and then plug 3+2u in for v and u=x^4. i suppose there might be another way to do it but that's the only way i can think of.

i got the same answer for the third one (b on the first attachment) using sin for the substitution.

Last edited:
your part a for the word problem is correct but for part b:

$v(t)=(t-4)(t+2)$
$\int_{1}^{4} \ 8+2t-t^2 dt + \int_{4}^{6} \ t^2-2t-8 dt$
and that is equal to 98/3

the last two are correct as well, only i think you meant $\frac{3x^{5/3}}{5}-2x+3^{1/3}$

ineedhelpnow said:
the last two are correct as well, only i think you meant $\frac{3x^{5/3}}{5}-2x+3^{1/3}$

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help and prompt reply. I'll go through the last one again just to make sure.

no problem. i would try to work out the other ones also but i don't have time. i have to get ready for my own calc 2 test which is like in an hour. hopefully answering your question can work as practice for me :D

ardentmed said:
Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help for this problem set I'm working on currently

The u-substitution for the first one is somewhat tricky. I ended up getting 1/40(u)^5/2 - 2 (u) ^3/2 +C, which I'm not too sure about. I took u from radical 3+2x^4.

For the second question, I split the integral into two parts, one from 3 to 1, and the other from 1 to -2, and used a negative value for the latter, since x < 1 is negative. This gave me 20/3 as a final answer.

Moreover, for the third question, I used a trigonometric identity u substitution and got \pi^2 / 72.

For the last question (the word problem), I got -3.33m for displacement and took the absolute for velocity to get speed, which gave me 218/3 as the final answer.

I'm confused as to how these work. For instance, I'm assuming that the FTC must be used, where the formula used would be f(b)-f(a), correct?
If so, I got 4x^3 radical(2-x^4) -2 for the first one. The second one is 3x^2 (sin(x^3)) + sincosx * cosx.

Also for the last two, I got 3/5x^5/4 -2x + 3x^1/3 +c from multiplying the values in the bracket by themselves (expansion). Also, I got 2 for the final one, since sinx > 0 is positive, and sinx < 0 is negative, although I'm not too sure about that. Thanks in advance, guys. I really appreciate it.

In the second question, splitting up your integral is the right approach. But what are the roots of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^2 - 1 \end{align*}$?

Your answer to the third question is correct.

In the fourth problem, are you given the position of the particle at any point in time?

ardentmed said:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} - \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}} \right) ^2 \, \mathrm{d}x } &= \int{ \left[ \frac{ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 - 1}{\sqrt[3]{x}} \right] ^2 \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \int{ \frac{ \left[ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 - 1 \right] ^2 }{ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 3 \int{ \left[ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 - 1 \right] ^2 \, \frac{1}{3\left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Now notice that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( x^{\frac{1}{3}} \right) = \frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}} = \frac{1}{3 \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$, so the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt[3]{x} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{3\left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ is appropriate...

Prove It said:
In the second question, splitting up your integral is the right approach. But what are the roots of x2−1?

Your answer to the third question is correct.

In the fourth problem, are you given the position of the particle at any point in time?

Oh, I see. So because the roots are both +1 and -1, the integral, in actuality, is split up into four parts since both roots are part of the domain. Is that correct? So would it be positive from 3 to 1 and negative from 1 to -1, and then positive again from -1 to -2? That's what's confusing me at the moment.

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
Oh, I see. So because the roots are both +1 and -1, the integral, in actuality, is split up into four parts since both roots are part of the domain. Is that correct? So would it be positive from 3 to 1 and negative from 1 to -1, and then positive again from -1 to -2? That's what's confusing me at the moment.

Thanks again.

Yes that is correct (so really it's split into three parts, not four...)

Related to Basic Calculus II Integral Questions - Riemann Sums, Absolute Integrals, etc.

1. What is the difference between a Riemann sum and an integral?

A Riemann sum is an approximation of the area under a curve using rectangles, while an integral is the exact value of the area under a curve. Riemann sums become more accurate as the number of rectangles increases, but an integral provides the precise value without needing to use an infinite number of rectangles.

2. How do you calculate an absolute integral?

An absolute integral is calculated by taking the integral of the absolute value of the function. This means that any negative values are treated as positive values, and the area under the curve is calculated accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of using a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is used to approximate the area under a curve when the function does not have an antiderivative or when the antiderivative is difficult to calculate. It is also used to introduce the concept of integration before learning more advanced techniques.

4. Can you use any number of rectangles in a Riemann sum?

Yes, the number of rectangles used in a Riemann sum can be any positive integer. As the number of rectangles increases, the accuracy of the approximation also increases.

5. Are Riemann sums and definite integrals the same thing?

No, Riemann sums and definite integrals are not the same thing. A Riemann sum is an approximation of the area under a curve, while a definite integral is the exact value of the area under a curve. However, as the number of rectangles used in a Riemann sum approaches infinity, the Riemann sum becomes equal to the definite integral.