Basic algebra responsible for brain fart

In summary: If a function f(x) is a continuous function, then there exists a number c such that f(x) = cx for all x within the range - c < x < c.In summary, the equation f(x) = cx gives a a number c such that the function f is a continuous function at all points within the range - c < x < c.
MurdocJensen

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve for x in a chemical equilibrium problem (college chem). Once x is found I have no problem finding equilibrium concentrations. What's important is below.

Homework Equations

5.10 = [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 --------> x=.387 (right answer)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to take the square root of the right side and cross multiply and solve for x that way, but I keep getting 1. I also tried to expand the numerator with the common denominator to see if I missed something, but solving for x that way eventually got me 1 also. I know there's something simple I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cross multiplying should work. Then you can work out the squares (don't forget that (x + 1)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 1) and bring it to the form
a x^2 + b x + c = 0.

That worked awesomely! What I don't understand is why I wasn't able to work it out by taking the square root of both sides. Do you have any insight into that? Not sure if that question's too vague.

You can do that, but you may need to consider both positive and negative square root of 5.10,

Physical constraints may tell you that x must be positive - and, if x represents a concentration (I can't tell from your original question) then you know 0 < x < 1, and solving by taking square roots works fine, without the need to consider [itex] -\sqrt{5.10} [/itex]

That's not true statdad. The equation
[tex]\frac{1 + x}{1 - x} = -\sqrt{5.10}[/tex]
can still give a positive solution for x (there is a minus sign in the denominator) and, in fact, will.

CompuChip said:
can still give a positive solution for x (there is a minus sign in the denominator) and, in fact, will.

Nope: if 0 < x < 1 as I specified, then

[tex]
\begin{align*}
0 > -x & > -1 \\
1 > 1 - x & > 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and no negative term arises.

CompuChip said:
This is correct.
I am guessing this is an equilibrium problem involving an ICE table. If so, then i am going to assume x represents a change in concentration. One of the values obtained for x will not be possible as it will be greater than the initial concentration. Using the positive square-root, the solution should be x=.387. using the negative squareroot, the value for x obtained (if i computed correctly) should be x=2.59. concentrations can be greater than one but if any of the initial concentrations of reagents were smaller than 2.59M, then this value would not be possible, and then the only true solution would be x=.387M (assuming you are working in Molars). MurdocJensen could you post the full question so I could verify this?
Thanks
-Theorem

Related to Basic algebra responsible for brain fart

1. What is "basic algebra responsible for brain fart"?

"Basic algebra responsible for brain fart" is a colloquial term used to describe the phenomenon of temporarily forgetting or struggling with basic algebraic concepts, such as solving equations or simplifying expressions.

2. Why does "basic algebra responsible for brain fart" happen?

There are several reasons why someone may experience a "brain fart" when it comes to basic algebra. It could be due to lack of practice, stress or anxiety, or simply not fully understanding the concepts. It can also happen when trying to solve more complex equations or expressions that require multiple steps.

3. Is "basic algebra responsible for brain fart" normal?

Yes, experiencing a "brain fart" when it comes to basic algebra is completely normal. It is a common struggle for many people, especially when they are first learning algebra or have not used it in a while. It does not mean that someone is not capable of understanding or excelling in algebra, it just takes practice and patience.

4. How can I overcome "basic algebra responsible for brain fart"?

The best way to overcome a "brain fart" when it comes to basic algebra is to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and to use visual aids or real-life examples to better understand the concepts.

5. Can "basic algebra responsible for brain fart" be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent a "brain fart" when it comes to basic algebra, regular practice and seeking help when needed can help reduce the frequency or severity of them. It is also important to manage stress and anxiety, as these can contribute to struggling with algebraic concepts.