Baseball Slugger's Pitch: Will it be a Home Run?

In summary, the conversation discusses a baseball player hitting a pitch 4 ft above the ground and the ball flying towards a 10-ft-high center-field fence. The ball has a starting velocity of 125 ft/s and a slope of 3 vertical to 4 horizontal. The goal is to determine if the ball hits the fence or if it is a home run, and by how much it clears the fence. The solution attempts to use equations for acceleration, velocity, and position to calculate the time at which the ball reaches the fence and its height at that time. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculated height and the answer given in the book.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

A baseball slugger connects with a pitch 4 ft above the ground. The ball heads toward the 10-ft-high center-field fence, 455 ft away. The ball leaves the bat with a velocity of 125 ft/s and a slope of 3 vertical to 4 horizontal. Neglecting air resistance, determine whether the ball hits the fence (if it does, how high above the ground?) or whether it is a home run (if it is, by how much does it clear the fence?).

Homework Equations

F=ma (Euler form)

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives the answer as home run, clears fence by 2 ft.

-mgj = m[ x2i+y2j+z2k) Note that i,j,k are unit vectors, and x2, y2, and z2 means double dot or acceleration.

-g = y2
0 = x2

y1 = -gt + C [C=125*(3/5)] => y1 = -gt + 75 (y1 is y dot or velocity)
y = (-gt^2)/2 + 75t + C [C=4] => y = -(gt^2)/2+75t+4

x1 = C [C=125*(4/5)] => x1 = 100
x = 100t + C [C=0 because no movement in x direction at t = 0] = > x=100t

Got these equations, then plugged in 455 ft into x=100t to get t=4.55s. So at 4.55s the ball would reach the fence. As to how high it will be, plug t=4.55 into the y equation, and my answer is 243 ft. The fence is 10 ft, so it clears it by 233 ft. But the book's answer is 2 ft. I know I screwed up somewhere, but I can't see it. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi xzibition8612! :smile:

(btw, pleeease don't write x1 x2 etc, write x' x'' :wink:)

did you use 9.81 for g, or 32 ?

wow :cry:

Related to Baseball Slugger's Pitch: Will it be a Home Run?

1. What is a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch"?

A "Baseball Slugger's Pitch" refers to a pitch thrown by a baseball pitcher that is designed to be hit for a home run by a strong and powerful batter.

2. How do pitchers throw a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch"?

Pitchers typically throw a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch" by using their strongest and most accurate pitch, such as a fastball or a breaking ball, with the intention of getting the batter to hit the ball with maximum power.

3. What factors determine if a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch" will be a home run?

The factors that determine if a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch" will be a home run include the type and speed of the pitch, the location of the pitch in the strike zone, and the strength and skill of the batter.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for throwing a successful "Baseball Slugger's Pitch"?

Yes, pitchers may use different techniques and strategies to throw a successful "Baseball Slugger's Pitch", such as changing pitch speeds, varying pitch locations, and using deception to fool the batter.

5. Can batters predict or prepare for a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch"?

Batters may be able to predict a "Baseball Slugger's Pitch" based on the pitcher's tendencies and previous pitches, but it is difficult to prepare for as it requires a combination of power and timing to hit a home run off of this type of pitch.