##\bar{\psi}=e^{i\theta}\psi## global gauge transformation

In summary: So you can see the e^{i \theta(x)} is actually a "rotation" at that spacetime point x, and in this way the \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\rho would be the "electromagnetic field" working with the "rotations" e^{i \theta(x)}.In summary, the use of ##\bar{\psi}=e^{i\theta}\psi##, where ##\theta## is a real number, as a global gauge transformation is to keep the phase of the complex numbers unchanged while allowing for a change in the magnitude. This simplifies calculations, but in the more general case, where ##\theta## is a function of ##x##, a local gauge transformation is needed
PerilousGourd
Why is ##\bar{\psi}=e^{i\theta}\psi##, where ##\theta## is a real number, used as the global gauge transformation? Why ##e^{i \theta}##; what's the physical significance or benefit?

Why is ##\bar{\psi} = e^{i \theta(x)} \psi## the local gauge transformation? What does ##\theta## being a function of ##x## instead of a real number change such that it no longer applies globally?

Thank you in advance for any explanations. I'm sorry if my questions are trivial!

Physics news on Phys.org
##e^{i \theta}## with a real ##\theta## is a general way to express a complex number z with |z|=1. You don't want to change the magnitude of the numbers (that is not covered by the gauge), just their phase.

Why is ##\bar{\psi} = e^{i \theta(x)} \psi## the local gauge transformation? What does ##\theta## being a function of ##x## instead of a real number change such that it no longer applies globally?
The other direction: This local transformation is the more general case. The special case of the same θ everywhere is called global gauge transformation because the same phase is applied everywhere. A global transformation is easier to describe than a local transformation, but considering local transformations is important in QFT.

Likes PerilousGourd
The [itex]e^{i \theta}[/itex] is used for a global transformation. Global because at any point you just apply a [itex]\theta[/itex] transformation. Transformation, well , that depends... for a U(1) where the generators are just numbers you can use the [itex]e^{i \theta}[/itex], whereas for some other symmetry the transformation should change and you use instead the generators [itex]T^a[/itex] on the exponential [itex]e^{i \theta_a T^a}[/itex].
For a simple case, consider that you have a complex number [itex]\psi = a + ib[/itex], transforming the [itex]\psi[/itex] itself will lead you to a [itex]\psi'= a' + i b'[/itex]. How are the two ([itex]\psi,\psi'[/itex]) connected? Well you can use that the multiplication of two complex numbers is a complex number so you can write:
[itex]\psi' = z \psi[/itex]
With [itex]z[/itex] an appropriate number that can apply for your given transformation. A complex number can be written as [itex]z= r e^{i \theta}[/itex] , and so an appropriate choice of ##z## would mean an appropriate choice for ##r## and ##\theta##.
Now if you are looking for a unitary transformation the [itex]r=1[/itex], otherwise you would change the magnitudes. And so you have:
[itex]\psi' = e^{i \theta} \psi[/itex].
So in fact what you are doing is getting [itex]\psi[/itex] as a "vector" on the complex plane, and you are making a rotation to it.

Now what would be the case if [itex]\theta[/itex] was in fact [itex]\theta(x)[/itex]?
Obviously this rotation doesn't happen anywhere on space [itex]x^\mu[/itex] in the same way. At a spacetime point [itex]x_1[/itex] you apply a rotation [itex]\theta_1= \theta(x_1)[/itex] whereas in a point [itex]x_2[/itex] you can apply a rotation [itex]\theta_2= \theta(x_2)[/itex].
It's naturally leading you to insert a "connection" (term from GR) into the game when you try to make invariant objects. The connection [itex]\Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\rho[/itex] in GR for example appears when you go from a global metric [itex]n_{\mu \nu}[/itex] to a local metric [itex]g_{\mu \nu}(x)[/itex]. Here the "ranks" are smaller and you end up with an "electromagnetic field" (better a U(1) gauge field) [itex]A_\mu[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to ##\bar{\psi}=e^{i\theta}\psi## global gauge transformation

1. What is a global gauge transformation?

A global gauge transformation is a mathematical operation that changes the phase of a wave function in a quantum system. It is a symmetry transformation that does not vary in space or time.

2. What is the significance of the phase factor ##e^{i\theta}## in the global gauge transformation?

The phase factor ##e^{i\theta}## represents the phase difference between two different states in the quantum system. It can have physical consequences, such as affecting interference patterns.

3. How does a global gauge transformation affect the wave function ##\psi##?

A global gauge transformation multiplies the wave function by a phase factor, ##e^{i\theta}##. This results in a change in the overall phase of the wave function, but does not affect any physical properties or observables of the system.

4. What is the difference between a global gauge transformation and a local gauge transformation?

A global gauge transformation is a symmetry transformation that is the same for all points in space and time. In contrast, a local gauge transformation may vary in space and time, allowing for a more complex transformation of the wave function.

5. How is the global gauge transformation related to the concept of gauge invariance?

The global gauge transformation is an example of gauge invariance, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. Gauge invariance states that the physical properties of a system should not change under a change in gauge, or symmetry transformation.