Banked highway curves and static friction

In summary, the problem involves a 1200 kg car traveling at 95 km/hr around a banked curve with a radius of 67 m and an angle of 12 degrees. The question is whether a friction force will be required, and if so, in what direction and with what magnitude. Two equations are provided, but the solver is unsure of how to approach the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the force of friction is equal to the friction coefficient multiplied by the normal force, and the equations can be solved by eliminating the normal force and resolving along the slope.
joseg707

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car rounds a curve of radius 67 m banked at an angle of 12 degrees. If the car is traveling at 95 km/hr, will a friction force be required? If so how much and in what direction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this problem. These are the two equations I have from them and when I try to solve I either get a huge number or a negative.

Ncos[tex]\theta[/tex]-Ffrsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-mg=0

Nsin[tex]\theta[/tex]+Ffrcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=ma

I'm positive that it needs friction force and I think it is in the direction of the center of curve, but I haven't figured out a way to solve. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey thanks! I think I found out what I was doing wrong. I didn't really take notice that the force of friction was equal to the friction coefficient multiplied by the normal force. Thank you very much!

joseg707 said:
Hey thanks! I think I found out what I was doing wrong. I didn't really take notice that the force of friction was equal to the friction coefficient multiplied by the normal force. Thank you very much!

I don't think you did.
Your equations were right but you need to solve for F by eliminating N.

By far the simplest way is to resolve || to the slope in the first place.

Related to Banked highway curves and static friction

1. What is a banked highway curve?

A banked highway curve is a curved section of a road where the surface is inclined at an angle, typically towards the center of the curve. This design allows vehicles to maintain stability and travel through the curve without skidding or slipping.

2. Why are banked highway curves important?

Banked highway curves are important because they improve safety and reduce the risk of accidents. They also allow vehicles to travel at higher speeds through curves, leading to more efficient travel.

3. How does static friction affect banked highway curves?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from sliding or slipping when in contact with a surface. In banked highway curves, static friction is vital in keeping vehicles from sliding off the road and maintaining stability.

4. What factors affect the amount of static friction in banked highway curves?

The amount of static friction in banked highway curves is affected by the angle of the curve, the speed of the vehicle, the weight and size of the vehicle, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

5. How do engineers determine the optimal angle for a banked highway curve?

Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the optimal angle for a banked highway curve based on the speed limit, expected vehicle weight and size, and the coefficient of friction. They also take into account factors such as weather conditions and potential hazards on the road.