Bandwidth at resoance and peak dB level

In summary, the conversation revolves around investigating bandwidth at resonance in a series RLC circuit with doubled components. The gain at resonance is observed to peak at -20.82 dB. The individual is seeking to calculate this value, and it is explained that it can be done using a voltage divider with impedances. The solution is provided for a specific set of values and it is concluded that breaking down the equations makes it easier to understand the concept.
djstar
Hi,

I'm investigating what happens to bandwidth at resonance of a series RLC circuit when each component is doubled.

i have simulated the circuits and created a bode plot. You can see from the photos that at resonance the gain peaks at -20.82 dB. I would like to know how to calculate this value.

i have an input voltage of 10Vp and the voltage at resonance across the resistor is 6.428V. i understand that the voltage across both resistors is 7.07V because the multimeter is measuring RMS but how do i calculate the db level.

Attachments

• bode plot.jpg
    bode plot.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 484
  • schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply but that still doesn't tell me how to calculate the -22 dB.

You have a voltage divider with impedances:

Z1 = R1 + j*omega*L + 1/(j*omega*C) = R1 + j*(omega*L - 1/(omega*C) )
Z2 = R2

Your measured voltage, call it Vout, is then given by:

Vout = Z2/(Z1 + Z2) = R2/(R1 + R2 + j*(omega*L - 1/(omega*C) ) )

with magnitude:

|Vout| = R2/sqrt( (R1 + R2)^2 + (omega*L - 1/(omega*C) )^2 )

Find peak value by finding roots of the derivative of |Vout| with respect to omega and substitute into Vout, you probably know the drill.

My solution gives:

Peak value = R2/sqrt( (R1+R2)^2 + (L/sqrt(L*C) - sqrt(L*C)/C)^2 ) = 0.0909 V = -20.8279 dBV

for R1 = 10 ohm, R2 = 1 ohm, L = 70 mH, C = 110 uF.

Thanks,

Once you're broke down the equations its made it easier to see what is going on.

Thanks for the help :)

Related to Bandwidth at resoance and peak dB level

What is bandwidth at resonance?

Bandwidth at resonance refers to the range of frequencies around a resonant frequency that a system can efficiently transfer energy. It is typically measured as the difference between the upper and lower -3 dB points on a frequency response curve.

How is bandwidth at resonance calculated?

Bandwidth at resonance can be calculated by finding the difference between the upper and lower -3 dB points on a frequency response curve. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the resonant frequency by the quality factor (Q) of the system.

What is peak dB level?

Peak dB level refers to the maximum decibel level reached by a system at a given frequency. It represents the highest level of sound or signal intensity that the system is capable of producing.

How is peak dB level measured?

Peak dB level can be measured using a sound level meter or other measuring devices. The sound level meter measures the sound pressure level in decibels (dB) and displays the peak level on its screen. The peak level can also be calculated by analyzing the waveform of the signal using a software program.

What factors can affect bandwidth at resonance and peak dB level?

The bandwidth at resonance and peak dB level can be affected by various factors such as the design and construction of the system, the materials used, the environmental conditions, and the source of the signal or sound. Additionally, external factors such as interference and damping can also impact the bandwidth at resonance and peak dB level of a system.