Band bending versus band sloping

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a built-in potential in a semiconductor heterojunction with a significant band cliff on both sides, which should block majority carrier diffusion. However, this poses a problem when there are insufficient free carriers for depletion. The conversation explores the idea of band-sloping rather than band-bending in this scenario and questions the physical soundness of a band-slope built-in potential. The original poster also asks if they are missing anything obvious in their understanding.
yehokhenan
I'm trying to reconcile how a built-in potential can form in a semiconductor heterojunction in which there is a significant band cliff to majority carrier diffusion from both sides of the junction i.e. there is a cliff which should block hole diffusion from the p-type as well as a cliff which block electron diffusion from the n-type. There ought to be a significant Fermi level offset and there are countless publications of such systems exhibiting rectifying behavior. The problem also extends to a scenario in which there may not be a band cliff but there are insufficient free carriers available for depletion e.g. an i-n or an i-p diode.

My assumption so far is that depletion need not necessarily occur for a built in potential to form and that band-sloping rather than band bending occurs instead - there is still a built in potential but there is no space-charge region (or, more generally, the space charge region does not wholly account for the built in potential) cf Fig 1b of this paper: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp300397f.
Contrary to this, most analytic derivations for built in potential, depletion width etc derive these quantities from the space charge density using Gauss' law. This is even the case for p-i-n junctions, in which a substantial part of the junction has sloped rather than bent bands.

My question is simply: Am I missing anything abvious? Is the idea of a band-slope built in potential physically sound?

Thanks!

Thanks for the bump. I can try to word it more simply, my original post is a bit of a mouthful. Here goes...

p-n junctions form because electrons and holes diffuse across the junction, causing the regions either side to be depleted of charge. All the behavior associated with p-n diodes stems from this occurrence. So...what happens when there is a barrier/cliff/discontinuity in the bands that should block the electrons and holes diffusing? How does the junction still form?

Related to Band bending versus band sloping

1. What is band bending versus band sloping?

Band bending and band sloping are two different mechanisms that can occur at the interface between two materials with different electronic properties.

2. How do band bending and band sloping affect the electronic properties of a material?

Band bending and band sloping can both alter the energy levels of electrons within a material, which can affect its conductivity and other electronic properties.

3. What causes band bending versus band sloping?

Band bending is caused by the presence of an electric field at the interface between two materials, while band sloping is caused by a difference in the electronic properties of the two materials.

4. Can band bending and band sloping occur simultaneously?

Yes, band bending and band sloping can occur simultaneously at an interface, and their effects may interact with each other.

5. How can band bending and band sloping be controlled or manipulated in materials?

Band bending and band sloping can be controlled by varying the materials used, the thickness of the materials, and the strength and direction of external electric fields applied to the interface.