Ballistics - Find magnitude of force on a kicked ball

The momentum of the ball when it leaves the foot is 4 kg*m/s. The impulse given to the ball is equal to the change in momentum, so the average net force exerted on the ball during the kick is 80N. In summary, the ball of mass 0.2 kg is kicked with a velocity of 20m/s at an angle of 40º above the horizontal ground from a point 20m away. The top of the fence is 4m high and air resistance is negligible. The average net force exerted on the ball during the kick is 80N.
tyfiem
a ball of mass 0.2 kg, initially at rest, is kicked directly toward a fence from a point 20m away. The velocity of the ball as it leaves the kicker's foot is 20m/s at angle of 40º above the horizontal ground. The top of the fence is 4m high. THe kicker's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.05s. The ball hits nothing while in flight and air resistance is negligible. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. Determine the magnitude of the average net force exerted on the ball during the kick. Answer in units of N.

I need help with this question. it is quite confusing and I'm stuck..

I think the equation: cos(38) x 17m/s = 1/2 a t^2 comes in somewhere in this question, but i don't know how it fits into this question. I'm seriously stuck D: can anyone help me? thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tyfiem said:
a ball of mass 0.2 kg, initially at rest, is kicked directly toward a fence from a point 20m away. The velocity of the ball as it leaves the kicker's foot is 20m/s at angle of 40º above the horizontal ground. The top of the fence is 4m high. THe kicker's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.05s. The ball hits nothing while in flight and air resistance is negligible. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. Determine the magnitude of the average net force exerted on the ball during the kick. Answer in units of N.

I need help with this question. it is quite confusing and I'm stuck..

I think the equation: cos(38) x 17m/s = 1/2 a t^2 comes in somewhere in this question, but i don't know how it fits into this question. I'm seriously stuck D: can anyone help me? thanks in advance!
What is the momentum of the ball when it leaves the foot? How is the momentum related to the impulse given to the ball (Force x time)?

The angle, fence height or gravity is not relevant to this question.

AM

Related to Ballistics - Find magnitude of force on a kicked ball

1. What is ballistics?

Ballistics is the study of the motion and behavior of objects that are projected, thrown, or launched into the air, such as bullets, missiles, or kicked balls.

2. How is the magnitude of force on a kicked ball determined?

The magnitude of force on a kicked ball is determined by factors such as the velocity and mass of the ball, as well as the angle and force of the kick. This can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas based on the laws of motion.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in ballistics?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to a ball, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. How does air resistance affect ballistics?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the trajectory and velocity of a ball in flight. It acts as a force that opposes the motion of the ball and can cause it to slow down and change direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of ballistics?

Ballistics has many practical applications, including in the fields of sports, military defense, and forensics. It is used to study and improve the flight of projectiles, develop better weapons and protective gear, and analyze crime scenes involving firearms.