Ball of gas experiences rapid increase in pressure....

In summary, the question is asking for an estimate of the time scale for the expansion of a self-gravitating ball of gas that experiences a sudden increase in pressure. The solution involves using the equation for force and considering an outer shell of the star. The question asks why P(r + δr) is negative, and the answer is because it works inwards.
Poirot

Homework Statement

A self-gravitating ball of gas suddenly experiences a rapid increase in its pressure to a new value P'. Taking average density of the star to be ρ and radius R, and ignoring gravity altogether, estimate the time scale of expansion of the star.

Homework Equations

Force= Pressure/Surface area= mass x Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering an outer shell of thickness δr and radius r:
Outward force on shell = (P(r) - P(r + δr)) 4πr2
My question is really why is the P(r + δr) the minus of it?

I'm comfortable doing the rest of the question by just using equation mass of shell x acceleration and equating them and using dimensional analysis on that .
But I'm unsure why it's a minus there, I'm fairly certain that's right after speaking classmates but I don't understand why.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
My question is really why is the P(r + δr) the minus of it?
Because it works inwards ! Make a little sketch for a thin shell at r .

Related to Ball of gas experiences rapid increase in pressure....

1. What is causing the rapid increase in pressure in the ball of gas?

The rapid increase in pressure is likely due to a build-up of heat within the ball of gas, causing the gas particles to move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. Is this increase in pressure dangerous?

It depends on the context. In some cases, a rapid increase in pressure can be dangerous, especially if the gas is highly flammable or explosive. However, in other cases, such as in a controlled scientific experiment, the increase in pressure may not pose a significant risk.

3. How does this rapid increase in pressure affect the surrounding environment?

The rapid increase in pressure can cause the surrounding environment to become compressed, potentially leading to changes in temperature, density, and other physical properties. It may also affect nearby objects and structures.

4. Can this phenomenon be replicated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, this phenomenon can be replicated in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment and techniques. By controlling variables such as temperature, pressure, and gas composition, scientists can simulate and study the effects of a rapid increase in pressure.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this type of research?

Yes, understanding the behavior of gases under rapid changes in pressure can have practical applications in various industries, such as energy production, aerospace, and materials science. It can also help in developing safety protocols and strategies for handling high-pressure situations.