Balckbodies and black body radiation - please enlighten me

In summary, blackbodies are objects that absorb electromagnetic waves at all frequencies and only emit light determined by their temperature. The absorbed energy is stored as internal energy in the blackbody, which can be seen as thermal motion of its constituents. This thermal distribution results in a thermal spectrum of emitted light. The blackbody's temperature changes with the amount of light absorbed and emitted, with the emitted light being the blackbody radiation. Reflected light is never absorbed by the object and is not related to electrons jumping to higher orbits.
christian0710
Hi as far as I have understood: Blackbodies are physicsl objects which absorb electromagnetic waves at ALL frequencies. And the only light they radiate is determined by their temperature which means They don't reflect any light shined on them, they only emit Energy from their temperature.

Here is my confusion and some questions i can't understand,

a) What happens when a blackbody absorbs Electromagnetic waves? Where and how are the waves stored/absorbed in physical material ? When light is reflected it's because an Electron is excited and jumps to a higher orbit and back again, but how is light stored in physical objects - I can't understand that, because it seems impossible that an object can store infinite light -it must emmit it somehow?

Science news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
a) What happens when a blackbody absorbs Electromagnetic waves? Where and how are the waves stored/absorbed in physical material ? When light is reflected it's because an Electron is excited and jumps to a higher orbit and back again, but how is light stored in physical objects - I can't understand that, because it seems impossible that an object can store infinite light -it must emmit it somehow?

The absorbed energy would be stored as internal energy in the blackbody. Now internal energy can mean many things, but in many cases would boil down to the thermal motion of whatever constitutes the blackbody. The thing to note here is that this will be a thermal distribution, which is why you get out a thermal spectrum and not a discrete one. When monochromatic light is absorbed by the blackbody it is true that it would momentarily imply a non-thermal distribution of the blackbody constituents. However, the time for this deviation from equilibrium to decay would typically be very short (depending on the interaction rate among constituents).

The light "stored" in the blackbody will change the blackbody temperature depending on its heat capacity. The blackbody will radiate accordingly, which boils down to emission of light (and thus loss of temperature).

Yes, you're correct, the energy stored in the blackbody must be emitted somehow and that emitted energy IS the blackbody radiation. But you're not correct that reflected radiation is radiation absorbed by an electron that jumped to a higher orbit and then emitted when the electron jumps back. The reflected radiation is never absorbed by the object to begin with.

Related to Balckbodies and black body radiation - please enlighten me

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation without reflecting or transmitting any of it. It also emits radiation at all wavelengths that are dependent on its temperature.

2. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody. The radiation follows a specific pattern and is dependent on the temperature of the blackbody, with hotter objects emitting more radiation at shorter wavelengths.

3. Why are blackbodies important in science?

Blackbodies are important because they serve as a theoretical standard for understanding and studying the behavior of radiation. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as thermal imaging and infrared cameras.

4. How does the temperature of a blackbody affect its radiation?

The temperature of a blackbody directly affects the intensity and wavelength distribution of its radiation. As the temperature increases, the intensity of radiation increases and the peak wavelength shifts towards shorter wavelengths.

5. How is blackbody radiation related to the concept of Planck's law?

Planck's law is a fundamental law that describes the intensity and wavelength distribution of blackbody radiation. It states that the intensity of radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given wavelength is proportional to the temperature and inversely proportional to the wavelength. This law has been crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of blackbody radiation.