Balancing the Forces on a Steel Beam Construction

In summary: Thanks for all your helpThe persons weight acts vertically down at the end of the beam. The beam is horizontal. So the perpendicular distance from the vertical weight force line of action to the pivot is just the beam length of 4m. Now, what distance should you use in calculating the beam weight torque about the pivot? Thanks for all your helpThe perpendicular distance between the weight force line of action and the pivot is just the beam length.
dals2002

Homework Statement

A 4m long, 500 kg steel beam extends horizontally from the point where it has been bolted to the framework of a new building under construction. A 70kg construction worker stands at the far end of the beam

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude of the torque about the point where the beam is bolted into place?

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought about using (Absolute torque)=d1F+d2F=(d1+d2)F=lF (l=the distance between the lines of action person to beam)

but i have doubts that is the right one, any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
dals2002 said:

Homework Statement

A 4m long, 500 kg steel beam extends horizontally from the point where it has been bolted to the framework of a new building under construction. A 70kg construction worker stands at the far end of the beam

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude of the torque about the point where the beam is bolted into place?

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought about using (Absolute torque)=d1F+d2F=(d1+d2)F=lF (l=the distance between the lines of action person to beam)

but i have doubts that is the right one, any help is appreciated
Ther are two torques acting, one by the person's weight acting at the end of the beam, and the other from the beam's weight acting at its cg.

yea that's the part i didn't get, i mean i know there is 2 torques that's why i thought of the equation above, but besides that i didn't understand anything else

t=rFt but i don't have the force either and they only gave me mass and distance, so I am unsure on what step to take next

dals2002 said:
yea that's the part i didn't get, i mean i know there is 2 torques that's why i thought of the equation above, but besides that i didn't understand anything else

t=rFt but i don't have the force either and they only gave me mass and distance, so I am unsure on what step to take next
You have the mass of the beam and the mass of the person. There is a simple formula that converts mass to weight. Can you use it to find the weights? These weights are the forces you are looking for. Then you need to know the perpendicular distances of the line of action of each of these forces to the pivot point at the bolted end of the beam, in order to calculate the torques.

ok i understand all of it, but i have one last question how can i find the perpendicular distance of the line to the pivot?

Thanks for all your help

dals2002 said:
ok i understand all of it, but i have one last question how can i find the perpendicular distance of the line to the pivot?

Thanks for all your help
The persons weight acts vertically down at the end of the beam. The beam is horizontal. So the perpendicular distance from the vertical weight force line of action to the pivot is just the beam length of 4m. Now, what distance should you use in calculating the beam weight torque about the pivot?

Related to Balancing the Forces on a Steel Beam Construction

What is the purpose of balancing the forces on a steel beam construction?

The purpose of balancing the forces on a steel beam construction is to ensure that the beam is able to support the weight and load placed upon it without buckling or collapsing. It is an essential part of the construction process to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

What are the different types of forces that need to be balanced on a steel beam construction?

The different types of forces that need to be balanced on a steel beam construction include: dead load, live load, wind load, and seismic load. Dead load is the weight of the structure itself, live load is the weight of people and objects on the structure, wind load is the force of wind pushing against the structure, and seismic load is the force of an earthquake.

How is the weight of the steel beam calculated for balancing forces?

The weight of the steel beam is calculated by multiplying its length by its cross-sectional area and then multiplying that by the density of steel. This calculation gives the total weight of the beam, which is then used to determine the other forces that need to be balanced.

What methods are used to balance the forces on a steel beam construction?

There are several methods used to balance the forces on a steel beam construction, including: adding additional support structures, using thicker or stronger steel beams, and redistributing the weight of the structure. Computer simulations and calculations are also used to determine the most effective way to balance the forces.

What safety precautions should be taken when balancing the forces on a steel beam construction?

Safety is of utmost importance when balancing the forces on a steel beam construction. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines set by the construction company. This may include wearing protective gear and using proper equipment to lift and maneuver the steel beams. It is also essential to have a team of trained professionals working together to ensure the proper balancing of forces.